Florida-Central Florida
Options

ceremony?s

We are finishing our ceremony and want to fill in the names since right nows its X____ and X_____ but aren't sure if my name or his goes first?Also, our ceremony is SO short. We added in the sand ceremony and are trying to find a reading but are having a hard time finding one we really like. Any suggestions?tia :)

Re: ceremony?s

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In what part of your ceremony? In the first introduction as husband and wife traditionally speaking your name would go first because in the past a man's first name was never supposed to be separated from his last. However, more recently I think it's more common for his name to be first -- DH and I are always introduced as Joe and Whitney K. Then there's the idea of alphabetical order but I think even then it's most common to have his first name, your first name, and then y'all's shared last name.Now if it's the order of the vows you're talking about I think DH said his to me first and then I said mine, but that was dictated by our church's prayer book.On the readings I've heard of several ways you can approach it. There's traditional scripture, of course. I've also heard of poems (e.e. cummings' i carry your heart is popular, I think) or excerpts from stories that might have been special to you or your family in childhood. If you can't find anything that doesn't fit your personalities it's okay to just have a super short ceremony so don't stress over it :)HTH :)
    That's Mrs.skWhitneyAmanda to you!

You're my true love, my whole heart ♥ ♥ ♥ <-- Married Bio <br>
  • Options
    cjbwifey2010cjbwifey2010 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traditionally, your name goes first on everything. As far as introduction, i think that is when his name goes first (Mrs and Mrs....John Smith). But for the invitations, the programs, the monogram, etc....you are lucky lady # 1 !
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll clarify: his name comes first once you're married. As PP said, on everything else wedding related your name is listed first. :)
    That's Mrs.skWhitneyAmanda to you!

You're my true love, my whole heart ♥ ♥ ♥ <-- Married Bio <br>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the other ladies about name order. Everything before the wedding is Bride and Groom, and then after its Mr & Mrs Groom & Bride. For our ceremony, FI will be going first for vows and ring exchange and then me. I used a wedding ceremony planning book and thats the way it was in there and in some sample ceremonies, so thats what I stuck with. As far as readings, we're doing Union by Robert Fulghum HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    what kind of reading do you want?  religous, secular?  I think I googled wedding readings when I was looking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards