South Carolina-Charleston

IOP locals

It's me again! :) What things are there to do around the IOP/Charleston area? Im looking for stuff like  scuba diving/deep sea fishing...tha sort of thing. Just anything fun really. The only thing we've done on our family vacations are ghost walks and carriage rides and such. While those are a blast, I really want to do something more fun on our honeymoon. Thanks in advance!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: IOP locals

• edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Wow never heard of it! I'll have to try it! Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    We just spent a week out there.  My cousins did a night time shark fishing trip.  They said it was a short boat ride vs the hours you will spend boating out to deep sea fish.  (if the waves are rough, that is not fun)  You can rent bikes, I saw people on those funny sit down ones which looked like fun.  I'm pretty sure you can parasail.  You'll have to check with your hotel and look up those tourist shops.  Rent surfboards.  Visit the aquarium.  Go to the Beach House Spa on IOP and get a massage (my cousin treated me last week, it was awesome!)  Acme is the least touristy restaurant/bar on IOP, its a total dive and they have good cheap wings.  For restaurants I highly recommend driving over to Sullivan's and eating at Poe's, delicious food and good laid back atmosphere.  And if you want a fancy place, go to the Boat House on IOP (its right near where IOP meets Sullivans), make reservations or you'll sit waiting forever and go at sunset b/c its so pretty!  Tell them ahead of time that its your honeymoon so you get good seats.  Just be warned, other than ACME, most of those restaurants near the IOP pier are way touristy and over priced.  Eat on Sullivan's, most of those places are good. The Windjammer is a famous bar right near the pier area, IMO its kind of trashy and overrated, but you'll probably want to stop by just to see it.  :)  Have fun!
    We're going to second-line into the New Year! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • stickbystickby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as the beach, there are miles of wide beaches, good for walking, swimming, sunning, etc.  Front Beach on Isle of Palms is where the retail shops and some food is located.  You might try going up to the rooftop at Coconut Joe's they have live music and good frozen drinks, food not that great.  They have a reggae night one night.

Tidal Waverunners is on the other end of the island and that is where you can rent jetskis, tubes, go parasailing etc.  Near there is Morgan Creek Grill another rooftop, outdoor dining place with better food (although can be hit or miss) and music. 

Google names of Off Shore fishing charters, there are a lot in the area.  Barrier Island Eco tours takes you through some nature type things.

Go to Sullivan's Island for a more casual (non-tourist) bar scene. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! We frequent Sullivan's restaurant when we get the chance. And we go to Coconut Joe's just for drinks. The food pretty much sucks. Thanks for the help! Is there any where you can do any snorkeling along the Sc coast? Or any where near by? Like deep sea diving or something?
  • stickbystickby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have been to the beach here before, you probably noticed that we do not have crystal blue waters or good visibility.  We don't have tropical fish or coral that would attract them.  I really don't think there is any snorkling or diving outfits; the closest would be Florida.

I beleive there are some tours that specialize in getting close to the dolphins (you won't be able to touch them like Sea Workld).  But you can see the dolphins pretty easily from Boathouse restaurant or Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I kinda figured that. I just couldnt think of a state that is closest to SC that does anything like that. But thanks a lot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards