Snarky Brides

question

Last year a bunch of the ladies at work asked if I could bring Will to our Halloween potluck. I did, not realizing that no other kids would be there (I missed the potluck the year before). People seemed to like him being there though, and then they voted him best costume (I didn't think they would, since you know, Will doesn't work here). So this year people asked me to bring him again and I said sure, since lots of people asked and it seemed to go over well last year. But then yesterday another co-worker said, "So is your son coming again? Should I even bother with the costume contest?" and now I feel awky. WWAFSBD? Would you bring him along anyway and ignore the sort of jokey but not really comment from the co-worker, or would you leave him at home?

Re: question

• I'd bring him but ask whoever is in charge of it not to include him in the contest.
  • Find out what her costume is, then make the same thing in a crappy version for him so when he wins, she will be postal.
  • We've brought Maggie to some things at Mike's work (I also used to work there) where there's no other kids there. It always makes me feel a little uncomfy, like people think we think our kid is cuter/better/more important or deserving to be shown off than theirs for being there. Now that she's older I try not to take her to these things, she's more of a handful to entertain and I feel like she's more out of place since she's not a tiny baby anymore.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • I really love Winged's idea the most.You should definitely bring him, but maybe you could ask to have the costume contest split into two age groups: Under 2, and Over 2.  That way he's a shoe-in to win his age group and no one else has to compete against the cutest child in the world.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • go with winger's suggestion
  • I'll probably do that Fallin, thanks. I didn't even vote for him last year. I don't bring him around work very often because it ends up being a two hour ordeal of visiting every office cluster and chatting about the same things over and over, but they like seeing him (well, mostly, apparently) so this is an easier way to do it.

• Winged is wise. I think Will and Maggie are much cuter and happier than most people's children and that is why they are in high demand. I would bring him. I would be sad if I worked with you and couldn't see Will in a costume because of what some lame coworker said.
  • These are the hurdles you face in having such an awesome kid.
  • Take him. But make sure you post pictures here for us to see before you go.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'd bring him and ignore the coworker. I can't believe someone would be so upset over a silly contest that they'd make a comment about a cute child winning.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It takes a special kind of person to be bitter about losing to a baby in a costume contest.
  • Sounds like she's jealous that your kid beat her in the contest. Take him, it seems like everyone else is excited he's coming.
  • I feel very sad for this woman that she needs to make passive aggressive comments at you and your kid. About a costume contest. Come on. I say take him, but do what Fallin and said and ask for him to not be included in the contest. That way, people with no other source of joy in their lives can feel that they have a chance at winning the work halloween costume contest.
  • You could bring him to my work. Sure, I don't have a work, and I live across the country, but we can work around that!

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • I think Will is the only kid that's not school-age out of the all the people here with kids, so maybe they usually invite kids when they're not old enough for school or something. I'm glad you guys thought the comment was a little odd too. I vaguely remember someone last year making a "but he doesn't even work here!" comment and me saying "hey, I voted for the banana," and I kind of think it might have been the same person. Hmm.

• Well, it is kind of unfair that Will comes in to an establishment where he's not even employed and stealing the prize out from under the legitimate workers.Kid should stick to his own turf.

• I said I'm going to ask them not to include him this year. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT MOO?!

• I think your kid might be a spy from a rival company and this "Halloween" thing is just a ruse. That's what I'm thinking.

• I would just like to know what kind of grown woman would be jealous of a child winning a costume contest? Is it really that big of a deal? Does she plan her costume out all year in hopes of winning this treasured contest? Unless there is some kind of pie involved, I cannot understand this woman. I would make sure everyone voted for him, so that lady has her hopes and dreams crushed once again.  Bring him in the cutest costume ever! But I am mean like that.
  • Noisy, I may have missed it, but what's Will's costume this year?
  • He's going to be Joe Mauer. We got him sideburns. For the non-baseball people - Mauer will probably going to AL MVP this year, they have Joe Mauer Sideburn Night in Minneapolis where they give everyone sideburns to wear, and he's Lorne's man crush.[img]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/john_rolfe/08/08/baseball.promotions/tx.mauer.jpg[/img]

• Joe Mauer isn't going to win, silly. Everyone knows Derek Jeter is a far superior player. And person.
    I bet her FUPA's name is Shane, like the gunslinger/drifter of literature.--HappyTummy
  • Thanks for making me *v all over this thread.

• I'm going to need some good close-ups on the baby sideburns, please. Hilarious!
  • He looks so young!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards