Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

*~*~* Kristen (Kwynn) *~*~*~

Hey! I saw your post about the job opening at your DH's firm! I am crossing my fingers that you get an interview and the job!!! :-) I am in a similar situation, and may consider taking an admin job, just to get my foot in the door, then hopefully move up as jobs open up. It is always better to be on the inside, even if it is entry level! Good luck! Let us know!Sounds like you are keeping busy, otherwise! Hope things are well! I know it can be hard to be without a job for so long!

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
My Doha Adventures

Re: *~*~* Kristen (Kwynn) *~*~*~

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Jen! :)The last woman who had the job left once she earned her Bachelor's in Business. She ended up moving up in the company and they never filled the position due to the economy. So it would certainly be a chance to get in and tide me over until next summer when I could look for teaching jobs again. And it looks like people do actually have a chance to move up, so that's always good.Plus, it would be some $ and get me out of the house! I've been trying to convince them I am not over-qualified. I've done some admin type work in college and liked it. We'll see how it goes. :) Is the economy good or bad over there? Would you say the US is in a worse situation economically? How is the pay for jobs over there, especially jobs that you are looking into? I agree, it is always better to be on the inside. I have my DH on the inside, so hopefully I can at least get an interview!I've been reading about your desert safari, how fun! :) I'm jealousE. If I were you, I'd want to spend a little more time just playing tourist before looking for a job. (But people have said that to me too and I've quickly grown bored, LOL)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Money and getting out of the house is always good ;-) I hope they determine that you would be a good fit! :-) Admin work is not bad, and I think you would be there just enough time that you would not get too bored. (Hopefully, right?!) I would say the economy here is pretty good. They are a very rich country, due to their oil. There are lots of ex-pats who have come over here because the pay and jobs are better than what they can get in the US. I am not sure about the pay here. I think salaries are definitely higher here than they are in the states. DH is making way more here as a philosophy professor than he ever could in the states! My friend just got an admin job at Cornell, and she is making 35k a year. That is pretty good to start (course she is overqualified for the job, like us!). I got my last job at Carlow starting out as an admin. So it cannot hurt! It is also a good way to make money while you wait to apply for teaching jobs, as you mentioned ;-) Thanks! The desert safari was really fun!!!! Crazy, but fun! I won't lie - I have been out of work since July, and I am enjoying myself. I am in no hurry to find a job - much to DH's dismay. We have only been here two months, and I am still getting situated! Well you said you don't have a car right? So you are stuck at home during the day? That would lead to boredom pretty fast for me! Luckily, I drive DH to work, so I have the car all day and can go out exploring. So I will find a job eventually...when I am ready :-)

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL, technically, I don't have a car (sold it to come here). But my DH bikes to work so that I can have his car as well during the day. We're super close to his workplace, so it takes him about 5-10 minutes.I couldn't sit here all day without a car at all; that would be so boring and our public transportation is non-existent. Today, I had to wake up at dark-thirty to drive him since his bike had a flat. But I needed the car to tutor and sometimes, to drive to random promotion jobs that I get a few times per week.35k for an admin job is great! I'm jealous of your friend! (and some of that is tax-free as an expat, right?)My DH actually deep down likes me not working. It is a nice change of pace to only have one person working, IMO; it makes life around the house a little easier. (But money tighter, of course).Do you guys watch the Amazing Race? There have been some Middle East episodes lately. I know they went to Dubai. Have you been there or have plans to go there?Ski Dubai looked amazing on the show!I was waiting to see if they went to Qatar, but I don't think they did this season.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am glad you have a car to use during the day! Otherwise, it would be unbearable! I hate getting up early just to take DH to work, but it is worth it to have the car for the day! I hear ya about not having a car, and public transportation is in use here, but only by the migrant workers, so it is not an ideal situation. I was surprised to hear that was her starting salary too! Not bad for an admin, huh? And yes, some of that is tax free, woo hoo! That is great that your DH likes you not working! I agree about it being easier around the house. Do you do all the chores, for the most part? DH and I are still making that work :-P We do watch Amazing Race! We have not been to Dubai yet, but it is a short plane ride away, so we definitely plan on going there! Actually, I wish Amazing Race would come to Doha! They have all ready been to Dubai!!! The ski thing did look pretty cool though huh?Well keep me posted on the job :-) Lots of good vibes!

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards