Chit Chat

Those who will be together less then a year before marriage come in...

Whats your story? The post a few down got me thinking...how did you just "know".....Trying to make sure I'm not crazy (and the only one like this!) in my current relationship. TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Those who will be together less then a year before marriage come in...

• I've never posted or even lurked here before, but I was directed here from a post on another board and your question caught my eye. We had our first date the day after Christmas. We spent the whole day together, then he brought me home and we had dinner with his parents. When he walked me back to the train station that night he told me that he already knew he loved me. He proposed the next morning - on our second date. Technically, we don't fit the criteria for your question because we are actually having a 16-month engagement, but I figured our story was relevant to what you are looking for.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Jesus Christ, and you didn't run screaming? Wow.
  • DH and I dated/lived together for a few years when I was out of highschool.  We were young, and both made mistakes - the relationship ended on a bad note.  We kept in touch for a few years here and there, but eventually lost touch.  The last I had heard of him prior to getting back together was that he had moved to Florida.  The last he heard of me was that I was engaged to be married (to my ex-FI.)  We were completely out of touch for about 3 years.  Christmas of 2007, I received a text from him saying "Wherever you are, I hope you are well.  Merry Christmas, M"  I was on my way into work that afternoon, so I called him and we talked briefly.  He said he was visiting his parents for Christmas, but that he had moved back to the area 6 months prior.  I told him that I had never gotten married.  I mentioned that we should get together and catch up, but he was leaving the next day to go to NC for 3 weeks.  I asked him how long he was going to be awake, and if he wanted me to stop over after work.  When I pulled into his driveway that night, he was standing outside.  I went up to him, gave him a big hug, and had this overwhelming feeling of "I'm home."  I knew that night that he was the man I was going to marry.  We stayed up and talked the entire night, and it was like 8 years had passed, but it hadn't been a day.  We had both had time to grow up and experience the world, and we were in a better place for a relationship.  When he returned from NC, he moved in with me.  A couple months later, we were talking.  I told him that if he asked me to marry him that day, that I would say yes.  He said "lets do it, then."  And so, we scheduled the wedding for Sept 2008.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I dated a guy that asked me to marry him 2 weeks after we met.  I flat out said "No way." I do not think that's long enough to know if that person is the one you want to spend your life with.  And thank god I didn't, because he dumped me when he got tired of me 3 months later- and married his next gf less than 6 months after that.  Also found out later that he'd been engaged 3 times before I met him.So you know... some people have issues.
  • I posted this on another thread, but will here too.I knew FI was the one very, very early on. When I was dating someone else.... I knew FI was the one. I ended it with that guy, and a few months later we started dating (talked the whole time before then/got to know each other a bit, etc.) I knew our first date... so did he.Our first "date" was September 1, 2007, and by his friends wedding in November, he mentioned in conversation about our wedding, like it was normal conversation. By Feb. of 08, at my brothers wedding, he mentioned something about how he wasn't sure if he or his brother would propose first (brother got engaged March of 08). We had talked about getting married from VERY very early on, we both just knew. He didn't propose until Nov. 1, 2008. We would have had 1 year engagement (getting married next weekend) but because his brother took a longer engagement, we decided to wait until Feb. to marry. The 5 love languages is such a good book. I read that part about coming off the "high" of love. And I know that's what happened to me in my past relationship (on and off 5+ years). Coming off the "high" of this "love", I still want to fall asleep with only him at the end of the night, no matter how CRAZY he drives me. Sometimes I agree, when you know... you know.
  • I felt like I "knew" with FI about a week into our relationship. Even though I ended up being right, that "knowing" has changed dramatically and wonderfully in the nearly three years that we've been together since. It's a completely different animal now, and I'm so glad about that.Personally, it makes me nervous when people marry very quickly, unless they have known each other in another capacity for a while beforehand. I just figure... What's the rush? Why not take the time to get to really know one another before wedding planning skews everything (and it does!)?My mom told me when I was a teenager that I should be with a man at least four years before marrying him. Even though that timetable certainly isn't right for everyone, I will marry my FI in 10 months knowing that I truly understand him, accept him, have been through hell with him, and that he has done the same with me. We'll be two months shy of four years, living together for two, and that feels great.
  • We were only together for about two months before we started talking about the future.  We were just so insanely comfortable with each other, in a way neither of us had ever been with anyone before.  We got engaged on our five month anniversary.Of course, we were friends and coworkers for nearly a year before we started dating, so we knew each other pretty well going in.  And we'll be getting married nearly two years after we got engaged, so no one can really say we're rushing into things.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I knew that I would marry FI on our first date.  I had met him a few times prior to that through mutual friends.  We got engaged after only eight months.  However, we will have been together for almost three years when we get married.
  • my FI and i had our first "Date" August 28, 2008 - but were never "official" until February 27, 2009. He proposed June 27, 2009 (4 months later) and we will be married January 2! There was no "moment" when i knew he was the one... i think it just happened over time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards