Michigan-Detroit

Traditional Brunch after the wedding??

My Fiance really wants to do a brunch on the morning after the wedding. I have never, ever done this or heard of this? Is this a family tradition or is this a tradition I am just not familiar with? I have heard that this was common many years ago for buffet weddings, but we are plated and unable to take food home. Thoughts? Anything would be helpful!

Re: Traditional Brunch after the wedding??

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I think it might vary based on geography and ethnic group?

My husband has nieces and nephews in Wisconsin. When were invited to their wedding, they had brunches the day after the wedding, where the bride & groom opened gifts in front of close family & friends.

However, they did not serve leftovers from the wedding meal, they simply had coffee, soda, and donuts/breakfast pastries.

It depends on how important it is to your fiance & whether this is traditional in his family.
  • I don't think its necessary or even expected. We have been to several weddings that did this (some were on the east coast) but the commonality of these weddings were extravagent and expensive so they could afford it. They also had a large number of out of town guests so it's a nice gesture or thankyou for traveling to spend the big day with you both. We paid for our own wedding so a brunch would have taken part of the budget from the main event. If you can afford it, i think its very nice but otherwise not. You and your new husband will probably be exhausted the next day and it's just another event to stress about unless someone offers to host it. An easy cheaper alternative would be like a simple laid back- bagels/donuts/coffee at your house or a family members house for the guests to stopby before they head home.
  • This is sort of a "family tradition" on my mother's side, and my fiance and I will be doing this as well.  Everyone looks forward to it, and it gives us one last chance to see each other in a more relaxed setting, before everyone heads their separate ways.  We try to do it at the hotel where most of the out of town guests are staying, or a restaurant nearby with a private room works well also.  We always have a great time "the morning after!"
  • We're having a breakfast with my bridal party and immediate family, nothing fancy. We will be moving out of state afterwards and most of our guests are out of towners. We are looking forward to spending time with them before we all head our separate ways. Traveling guests that you might not have had the chance to actually talk to at the wedding would appreciate it.

Also think of it as a way to 'wind down' after the wedding. After 9-12+ months of planning - why not spend a few hours visiting and hearing about any moments you might have missed during the wedding.
  • Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2013
    I said "yes, it's tradition", because in my family/circle it is. This varies by group so it may not be traditional in your group, and it's certainly not required.

We did it with my OOT family and friends and it was in my parents' home. They brought in some deli trays and a few other munchies and it was basically a casual get together so my H and I could spend some time with my family before they left town. Our bridal party was also invited, but none of them came. H's family came for a little while. We also opened the physical wedding gifts (not envelopes/money) we received at this brunch. In most cases, those gifts were from my family, so it gave them a chance to see us open what they'd given us.

For us, it was a relaxing way to end the weekend and I felt better that I spent some more QT with my OOT family since I barely spoke to them at the wedding. We also didn't leave for the HM until the next day, so we had the time. I think we didn't get to the brunch until 2 or so, and we stayed several hours, but we probably could've left sooner if we wanted.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards