Texas-Austin

moving to texas, help needed

Hello I am from Michigan, but I am moving to Waco for a job. I was wondering if you girls had some information about the area? A friend of mine that lived there for a while told me that the area is not that great so now I am a little nervous. Any information on the area would be greatly appreciated :) Such as safety, things to do, climate, and any other tips and tricks you might have. Also apartment rec's could be great! Thank You
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: moving to texas, help needed

• edited December 2011
    Waco is about an hour and a half north of Austin, halfway to Dallas/Ft. Worth. I've only been there once and don't have too much to say about it. I have been to the Dr. Pepper/Sprite museum there and the mall and that is it!I have a couple friends who are from there/grew up there though, so if you want to shoot me an e-mail I can forward your info to them for some inside scoop! trisha_sumpter at yahoo dot com
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

• edited December 2011
    Hi, My fiance lives in Waco, he's a grad student at Baylor and i'll be moving up there in a few months. It's a relatively small town so not a whole lot to do. There's the DrPepper museum and they do have a really good zoo. I would suggest living close to Baylor's campus. It's very safe and patrolled very heavily, but outside of that area it's rather shady, bars on the windows, etc. If you have any questions you can email me stephie (dot) russell (at) gmail (dot) com
    Planning Blog: www.JohnandSteph2010.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image228 Made the list!
    image 42 Are ready to party!
    image 6 Will be missing out!
    image 180 Can't find the mailbox!
  • jsauer74jsauer74 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from Waco...it's really not that bad. Yes the areas immediately outside of the Balyor area are pretty scary....but take a look at China Spring. Very nice area, great schools if you have a need and only 10 min from downtown Waco. Also look at Woodway and Hewitt. They are about 15 min from downtown Waco and also have a good school system. It is a small town with big city shopping only an hour or so north or south of town on the interstate. There are not many tourist attractions...once you've seen em...you've seen em, but there are plenty of areas to hike, ride bikes and enjoy the outdoors. I think you'll enjoy it!
    Jen Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    I grew up really close to Waco. Not a fan. I was actually offered a job in the area, but I turned it down since I really don't want to live there. I'd recommend living a little outside of town since it's kinda shady within city limits. There is some fun shopping places I venture to Waco for including Spices (love love love) Hate to disappoint...
  • sarainaustinsarainaustin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whatever you do, you can not rely on the weather here.  It can be absolutely gorgeous one weekend and freezing cold or scroching hot the next.  So whatever you do, make sure you have an inside option wherever you have youre ceremony and reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards