Canada-Ontario

Store that sells "modest" evening gowns?

My friend is attending a wedding next spring in Egypt. She is looking for a store in Toronto that sells nice "modest" evening gowns, or would alter a dress to cover her arms, chest, and back. She also though of wearing a small jacket (like Kate Middleton's evening gown) to cover her arms and back.

Does anyone have any suggestions for stores?

Re: Store that sells "modest" evening gowns?

• Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There won't be a specific store for that, however, she should go to different fashion boutiques/stores and see what they have in stock.  It sounds like she may need to find dresses with higher necklines such as bateau, square or crew neck and dresses that have some sort of sleeve, i.e. no strapless or straps on the dress.  She should also think of things like shawls, pashminas, boleros to assist with this.  From what I know about Egypt, as long as the clothing is not sleeveless, she'll be fine. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_store-sells-modest-evening-gowns?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:a6d84433-ad80-4b17-8ecd-93922cccff32Post:7721cfe6-63b7-4cc6-b1e0-f312139b02f3">Re: Store that sells "modest" evening gowns?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There won't be a specific store for that, however, she should go to different fashion boutiques/stores and see what they have in stock.  It sounds like she may need to find dresses with higher necklines such as bateau, square or crew neck and dresses that have some sort of sleeve, i.e. no strapless or straps on the dress.  She should also think of things like shawls, pashminas, boleros to assist with this.  From what I know about Egypt, as long as the clothing is not sleeveless, she'll be fine. 
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]

She covers her head, I think the word is hijab, so she's looking for something very modest. She was asking me about stores in Toronto, but I didn't know where to suggest. Even just the names of some stores that sell evening gowns would be helpful. The only one I could think of is Want Boutique.

Sorry that I wasn't more specific, I don't know the right terminology and didn't want to offend anyone.
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Mrs. Bridal on Davenport. There's som unique things , non traditional that you can find. 

You can also buy another shrug or bolero to cover.
    edited December 2011
    Does she have a price range in mind?  Just so I know the types to suggest.
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a store called "The dress people" in Brampton (Main & Queen). They have a lot of selection for modest gowns.
    edited December 2011
    She can also check out any of the stores at St. Clair & Dufferin.  At lot of the fashion stores are bridal boutiques that cater to the bride, MOB, bridesmaids, etc. and evening ware.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards