Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Thank you notes: bad handwriting

I want to divide thank you cards between my FI and I. He will do his family and friends and I will do mine. However, his handwriting is very sloppy and he thinks I should do all the thank you cards because of this. What is your opinion. What would you think if you got a thank you card that looked like it was written by a 5 year old?

Re: Thank you notes: bad handwriting

• I think that if they're from his side, they should know his handwriting is messy by now! And if not, they should pay less attention to the penmanship than to the fact that he took the time to hand write it. I once got a thank you note that was more or less a form letter, with my name inserted (in a different font) at the top. Very impersonal and just plain bad taste! 
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    I think if he gets out of this for bad penmanship, he's going to try to get out of dishes, laundry, washing the car, changing diapers, etc. because "you're just so much better at it."
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_thank-notes-bad-handwriting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:59379e04-16c9-4eb8-8328-1c849595a369Post:ea1d9caa-2e3c-4061-8f73-af6c01d4cb4c">Re: Thank you notes: bad handwriting</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if he gets out of this for bad penmanship, he's going to try to get out of dishes, laundry, washing the car, changing diapers, etc. because "you're just so much better at it."
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

This. Tell him to do his best.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we both have terrible handwriting... but he did his side and i did mine. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • Yup, I did my side and all of our mutual friends, and he did his side. My notes looked better, despite his typically better handwriting, but he didn't care as much and hurried through. I am just please they are done.
  • I wrote all of our thank you notes -- mainly because DH doesn't have nice handwriting.  He has never since tried to get out of doing laundry, dishes, washing the car, etc.  In fact, he's usually the first one to start working on those things.  I

I'm not saying that poor penmanship is a good reason for not writing thank-you's, but I'm saying that I've heard it before.  If you really want him to help, tell him that you won't be sending any thank-you's to his side of the family.  Or, see if you can both write a little note on all of the cards -- whenever I get a card like that I really like it because both people took part in it and took time to say "thanks".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Whenever we have notes or cards to write, I'll write the first half and he does the second.  I think it helps him if I get it started!  And he doesn't feel as much pressure to perfectly fill a notecard.  Sounds a little silly, but it works for us, and I think it's a nice touch for the recipient if we are both expressing our appreciation!
  • I wrote all my cards...just wanted them done! So yep...I did all 150 by myself...if I waited for him i woudl still be waiting!
  • We both have bad handwriting, but I'm doing all the thank yous for the simple reason that I don't trust him to do it.
    Maybe I'm sexist or old-fashioned but men don't write letters. When was the last time you saw a guy in the Hallmark store?
    I've also heard horror stories of women finding a half written stack of thank yous in their husband's car...2 years after the wedding...

Great though if your husbands will actually follow through and write letters, that's a lot less work for you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_thank-notes-bad-handwriting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:59379e04-16c9-4eb8-8328-1c849595a369Post:cd90a437-2a51-47ed-8f2f-d72224a8a429">Re: Thank you notes: bad handwriting</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wrote all of our thank you notes -- mainly because DH doesn't have nice handwriting.  He has never since tried to get out of doing laundry, dishes, washing the car, etc.  In fact, he's usually the first one to start working on those things.  I I'm not saying that poor penmanship is a good reason for not writing thank-you's, but I'm saying that I've heard it before.  If you really want him to help, tell him that you won't be sending any thank-you's to his side of the family.  Or, see if you can both write a little note on all of the cards -- whenever I get a card like that I really like it because both people took part in it and took time to say "thanks".
    Posted by starshine985[/QUOTE]

I agree with every single thing you said. this is me and my fiance exactly. I like the idea of both people writing in it. even if the bad handwriting is on the inside of the card and the good handwritting is on the outside addressing the card. People won't really care if its bad hand writing. its no big deal.
    I'm  just a perfectionist and I want it to look good :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • JoeyOzJoeyOz member
    First Comment
    I think people want the thank you note, regardless of what the handwriting looks like.  I wrote the thank yous for my family and friends, and our mutual friends.  He wrote the thank yous for his family ... basically if I didn't know whether my H called them "Betty & Joe" or "Aunt Betty" or "Mrs. Betty" or whatever, he had to write it.  I thought it would be weird for me to send a thank you to someone I had only met briefly and that it would mean more to them coming from my H.
  • I wrote all the thank you notes for our wedding, my husband's writing is terrible. But he didn't get out of helping, he put the picture in the card and sealed the card and stamped them.  Every little bit helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards