New Jersey - South

make-up trial - tipping?

Hi girls, I'm going to have a trial with Karen (can't remember last name, but a lot of you have used her).  Did you guys tip for this?  I'm not sure what's appropriate.Thanks!

Re: make-up trial - tipping?

• nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If they own the business then no you don't need to tip...my girl own her own so I didn't and my trial was the full price I'm paying the day of
  • amymk910amymk910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    as a hair stylist/makeup artist myself...a tip is a little something to show that you are really happy with your service. and i know many people think you don't have to tip the owner but from experience with my boss.. when a client walks out and doesn't tip her she thinks that maybe they didn't like the service that she did. Whether it be a trial or the actual wedding day you are still taking up that time so its just a little something to show your appreciation and let the stylist know that you really like it.
  • nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends, I worked at a upscale salon for 8 yrs and the owner always charged more then the others anyway so that's why most people didn't tip. Some don't so again it depends on the situation.I've heard some girls say that their trial was cheaper then the day of so maybe then.  I paid $150 for my trial and will pay $150 for my day of.The reason you really don't have to tip is b/c a stylist in a salon only gets half (give or take) of what you pay where the owner gets 100%
  • edited December 2011
    Please let us know how your trial goes .... do you know if Karen does air brush makeup?
  • edited December 2011
    She does do airbrushing and I'm going to have that at my trial next Tuesday - I'll keep you posted.
  • edited December 2011
    Jessica - I went to my trial with Karen and it went great.  Karen is wonderful and followed my requests very easily.  I'm looking forward to using her at my wedding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards