New Jersey

Frustrated! Please help

We are a recently engaged couple who just moved to the Atlantic City area of NJ. We are trying to plan a nice wedding without breaking the bank. So far all of the places we have liked( as far as quality of food,ambiance,service,etc) are all over $100 pp and that's not even adding taxes or gratuity. I know a lot of the posts say to have friends do this or that, but we just moved here so that isn't really an option. Does anyone know of a nice venue ANYWHERE in NJ for under $100pp? And also any unique ways to cut costs, not quality without having to have friends or family do stuff? Thanks
Chrissy and Scott 2011

Re: Frustrated! Please help

• cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue, The Richfield Regency is Verona, was $85 pp for a Friday night in September, with a minimum 125 people (plus tax and gratuity)... there are plenty of places in that price range and lower.. however that is quite a distance from Atlantic City..
  • bereasonable2bereasonable2 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is humorous.
  • gina613gina613 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm booked with a Crowne Plaza hotel... I looked into 2 dif. CPs and one was over $100pp, but the nicer looking one (in my opinion) was much less. I know some would rather not have a "hotel" wedding but if a significant number of your guests are OOT-ers, it works out well. Some of the Holiday Inns have lower prices too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:7c328b3b-8eb7-4616-9b17-4007e5207930">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is humorous.
    Posted by bereasonable2[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you find this humorous but everyone has a different budget. Please respect that & if you don't have anything positive to contribute, then keep it to yourself.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ask on the South Jersey board, too. Sometimes the venue price goes down the further you get from NYC or Philadelphia.

Try to book a date in January-March if possible, since that's typically the slow season (especially for a Shore venue). Fridays and Sundays, and Saturday afternoons, will likely be cheaper than Saturday nights.

Can you plan everything pretty quickly? See if you can get a discount for a date that's six months out or less. It can definitely be done.

I would look into Bridgewater Manor, The Tides Estate in North Haledon, Ravello's in East Hanover, the Riverside Pavilion in Belmar, Gran Centurions in Clark, the Lobster Shanty in Point Pleasant, and like a PP said consider having dinner at a nice restaurant instead of booking a reception hall.
  • agu101agu101 member
    edited December 2011
    You could check out some of the wineries in that area, like Tomasello or Renault.  There is also the Marriott Seaview in Galloway, although I have no idea what that goes for.  I know in Toms River there is the Versailles Ballroom at the Ramada that gets great reviews and constantly advertises prices uner $100.  
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:372e3ffd-7f1b-4d4a-aca2-b385caa2cfac">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Frustrated! Please help : Not sure why you find this humorous but everyone has a different budget. Please respect that & if you don't have anything positive to contribute, then keep it to yourself.
    Posted by LissyM83[/QUOTE]

<div>I totally understand budgets.  I have a budget for a car, but I don't say that I want a Mercedes at Hyundai prices.  Nor do I say I want a Ferrari at Mercedes prices.</div><div>
    </div><div>Reading the OP sounds like, "I want all the best!  But I don't want to pay for it."</div>
  • altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:a815fe1e-b370-47df-96f0-dcb84374d6d2">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Frustrated! Please help : I totally understand budgets.  I have a budget for a car, but I don't say that I want a Mercedes at Hyundai prices.  Nor do I say I want a Ferrari at Mercedes prices. Reading the OP sounds like, "I want all the best!  But I don't want to pay for it."

I think she really just wants to get the best deal for her money - nothing wrong with that. She wants good food at a nice place for under $100pp, not completely unreasonable and without her being from the area, she was asking for suggestions.
  • edited December 2011
    Our venue, The Tides in North Haledon, is charging $75 per person with a 75 person minimum for a Sunday. 

I would definitely recommend it, but I'm not sure how far you are willing to travel.

Look into a Friday night or a Sunday.  I didn't realize how much cheaper a Sunday would be than a Saturday.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:fe58f580-619a-414b-8416-3685a59fd8b9">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Frustrated! Please help : I think she really just wants to get the best deal for her money - nothing wrong with that. She wants good food at a nice place for under $100pp, not completely unreasonable and without her being from the area, she was asking for suggestions.
    Posted by altimat873[/QUOTE]

<div>One sure way to become frustrated is to go shopping for deals that are super hard to find.  Nice places that have great service with good food costs money.</div><div>
    </div><div>I can sit here and frustrate myself to no end by saying I want a German automobile with 300HP, leather, navigation, and all the bells and whistles, but my budget is $25K.  Can it be done?  Sure, I'd have to sacrifice and buy a used one.</div><div>
    </div><div>If good food and nice place is as important as the OP makes it out to be, then I personally would sacrifice the number of guests.  Only invite people that are super important.  </div><div>
    </div><div>From reading this board, it seems like people here invite way too many people and not enough even show up to cover their minimum.</div>
  • altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:c18910c2-fd4d-4509-9c70-0b18397a76d7">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Frustrated! Please help : One sure way to become frustrated is to go shopping for deals that are super hard to find.  Nice places that have great service with good food costs money. I can sit here and frustrate myself to no end by saying I want a German automobile with 300HP, leather, navigation, and all the bells and whistles, but my budget is $25K.  Can it be done?  Sure, I'd have to sacrifice and buy a used one. If good food and nice place is as important as the OP makes it out to be, then I personally would sacrifice the number of guests.  Only invite people that are super important.   <strong>From reading this board, it seems like people here invite way too many people and not enough even show up to cover their minimum.
    </strong>Posted by bereasonable2[/QUOTE]

If she is not from the area, then she doesnt know about the places that are nice with good food in that budget. What you might think is good food or a nice decor may be different from her idea. i know plenty of places on here that I didnt love but others did, its a matter of their taste preference, OP is just looking for ideas in her price range and what she is looking for.

Why do you say people here invite way too many people? brides can invite how ever many they want and their minimum is their business.

You seem unusually bothered today, if you can't contribute ignore the thread. . . seems like you are trying to start crap but criticizing someone's post when it's really not necessary.
  • LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:a815fe1e-b370-47df-96f0-dcb84374d6d2">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Frustrated! Please help : I totally understand budgets.  I have a budget for a car, but I don't say that I want a Mercedes at Hyundai prices.  Nor do I say I want a Ferrari at Mercedes prices. Reading the OP sounds like, "I want all the best!  But I don't want to pay for it."

I think her request is perfectly reasonable & I didn't interpret her comment like that at all. You can absolutely find places with her above requests for under $100/pp... you just have to look a little more since options are limited. The Fountainhead (near me in Westchester) is $95/pp and has great food, service, etc. so I am confident she'll be able to find something.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:62698d7d-6530-43c9-9949-f3fee9323927">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why do you say people here invite way too many people? brides can invite how ever many they want and their minimum is their business. 
    Posted by altimat873[/QUOTE]

<div>Sure, it's not my business, but it's just an observation.  There were several posts earlier about people not meeting their minium guest count.  If they put it out here in public, then it's fair game to comment.</div><div>
    </div><div>If my reception budget is $30K, would I rather have 300 guests eat mediocre food?  Or would I rather have 125 of my closest friends and family eat like kings?</div><div>
    I'm just trying to give different views... sometimes people here seem too worried about being "nice" than to offer differening opinions.</div>
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:81b8bde2-85bb-436a-a15e-b5828b7499c7">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Frustrated! Please help : I think her request is perfectly reasonable & I didn't interpret her comment like that at all. You can absolutely find places with her above requests for under $100/pp... you just have to look a little more since options are limited. The Fountainhead (near me in Westchester) is $95/pp and has great food, service, etc. so I am confident she'll be able to find something.
    Posted by LissyM83[/QUOTE]

<div>I absolutely agree with you.  It can probably be done, but her options are limited and she may have to sacrifice the raw bar and lobster flambee.</div>
  • gina613gina613 member
    edited December 2011
    OP- I sympathize with your frustration... honestly, the few times I posted here asking for suggestions on lower-priced venues, many were quick to tell me it was either impossible, or that I would have to cut guests/food/consider Friday or Sunday... Don't give up... I'm having the Saturday evening reception that I've always wanted, but it took a lot of research. No offense but theknot was not the most helpful resource when it comes to venues... my own searching was much more effective. My venue isn't even listed here. I really wish you the best of luck... it is possible, but where you may lack the $$$ you have to spend a little more time to accomplish your goal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Richardsmom51Richardsmom51 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sent a message privately to you regarding a venue. I had not use this before so I hope you received it. If not, let me know here and I'll post again. I don't think they have a minimum requirement either.
    Richardsmom51
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:e1621587-59ce-49f3-96d9-fc3457145f7a">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP- I sympathize with your frustration... honestly, the few times I posted here asking for suggestions on lower-priced venues, many were quick to tell me it was either impossible, or that I would have to cut guests/food/consider Friday or Sunday... Don't give up... I'm having the Saturday evening reception that I've always wanted, but it took a lot of research. No offense but theknot was not the most helpful resource when it comes to venues... my own searching was much more effective. My venue isn't even listed here. I really wish you the best of luck... it is possible, but where you may lack the $$$ you have to spend a little more time to accomplish your goal.
    Posted by gina613[/QUOTE]

<div>Tell her your venue!</div>
  • gina613gina613 member
    edited December 2011
    I mentioned it above... Crowne Plaza. It is in Somerset so I don't know that she'd be interested in that specific venue, but its an idea nonetheless.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    For the record, I am not asking for a "Mercedes" at "Hyndai" pricing! I am simply asking what venues are nice looking, in a good area, decent food and good service for under $100pp ANYWHERE in NJ. I am not asking for a raw display or lobster flambee at grilled vegetable costs. Obviously, if I was interested in those things, I realize that I would have to pay more for that. I just can't see paying for a nice chicken or beef dish at lobster tail pricing. 
    I am new to the area  also and don't know my way around very well yet. I have no idea what places to avoid, what places are going to be way too far out of my price range, etc. Posting on this site was merely to get positive feedback and possibly some new creative insight on venues and budget saving ideas that still look decent without the "Mercedes" pricetags. I am not objectionable to a Friday, Sat afternoon or Sunday reception even though I would prefer a Saturday evening. I am OK with cutting my guest list to a reasonable amount. It is interesting all the snide remarks made in reference to having, in my opinion, a reasonable budget to a wedding.... Thank you so far to those who can manage to keep their snoody remarks to themselves and actually provide helpful constructive feedback. :)

Chrissy and Scott 2011
  • shoebieshoebie member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:7c328b3b-8eb7-4616-9b17-4007e5207930">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is humorous.

<div>
    </div><div>Wow you are beyond rude ! Diffrent people diffrent budgets ! I have found several venues in NJ for under 100 a plate... how many guests are you looking to have and what time of year what day ?</div>
  • edited December 2011
    You don't have to spend a lot go get a lot. Don't be fooled. My cousin got married at the Colonial Inn. She paid about $85 pp. 
    I have been to some over the top weddings and it wasn't impressive at all. Its all about the details and the LOVE!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:7c328b3b-8eb7-4616-9b17-4007e5207930">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is humorous.

Everyone seems to be commenting on this one but I'm giving bereasonable2 the benefit of the doubt and say that this was meant in a joking way, meaning that it's humorous that there's is beautiful place in Jersey that would come under 100pp. Probably not the best delivery but I don't think she was ripping the poster
  • Lauren2426Lauren2426 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Bridgewater Manor
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Definitely post on the south Jersey Board as well as the Philly board for ideas. It can be done... Off season days help as do different types of venues. You asked for other unique ways to cut costs... For me, doing the day of stationery and favors myself saved almost $600. It took time and effort but was worth it. (and these things aren't even necessary). If you're DIY, the DIY board on TK has a ton of great ideas. Websites like cardsandpockets.com have great prices, and there are wholesale floral distributors out there too (I went to one in Saddle Brook but that's much too far from you). Starting with your budget is probably best, then you can figure out where to cut and where to splurge. Good luck and welcome! EDIT: oh and the Highlawn Pavillion (view of NYC skyline) and Mayfair Farms were less than $100pp when I visited last year.
  • edited December 2011
    The Smithville Inn is pretty close to AC and their most expensive package averages about $100 per person (some entrees are more and some are less). If you get a package without an open bar included, it's roughly $70 per person. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 2012 Siggy: The Dress
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_frustrated-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d3293572-4f42-4d6b-9ccf-265efca5cb55Post:044dc866-f2a2-48e2-943b-47bab87836a6">Re: Frustrated! Please help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Frustrated! Please help : Everyone seems to be commenting on this one but I'm giving bereasonable2 the benefit of the doubt and say that this was meant in a joking way, meaning that it's humorous that there's is beautiful place in Jersey that would come under 100pp. Probably not the best delivery but I don't think she was ripping the poster
    Posted by Pharo47[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you.  I wasn't trying to insult anyone.  Just that when someone says they want good food, good service, and in nice place... for under $100 pp.  Sorry, I just find that funny.  This isn't about budgets, it's about realistic expecations.</div><div>
    </div><div>Sure, "good" and "nice" are subjective, but generally speaking, people know when they eat "good" and see "nice."</div>
  • abungerabunger member
    edited December 2011
    In the Central Jersey area, we took a look at a couple of really nice venues that had packages that would fit your price range (and for a June date): Berkeley Plaza, Twin Brooks Country Club, Neshanic Valley Country Club, and Pheasants Landing.  Good luck - you WILL find something :)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm at bridgewater manor in april with 150 person minimum, and my cost is 92 pp including tax and tip.
    How I unwind? The FI and I watch old TV shows Photobucket 187image 124image 48image 15image RSVP Date March 31 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The Holiday Inn in Toms River (Atlantis Ballroom) is $89 pp before tax and tip.  I've seen rave reviews on food and it's in a hotel with a bar.  We're thinking of booking it.  The company that does the catering for them also has properties in Tinton Falls, Freehold and a few others...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is with this assumption that you can't get good quality food and service at ALL price points? You don't have to pay an arm and a leg, and you can still have an amazing wedding in NJ. The OP, as she explained, is not looking to get "all the best" and not pay accordingly. She is looking for the best she can get in her budget, and there is nothing wrong with that. She wants a GREAT wedding for under $100 per person and that is ENTIRELY doable. She's not being unrealistic or looking to have a wedding out of her means.

Bereasonable - Please stop starting drama for no reason. All you do is go around indirectly insulting people, and posting negative comments. If you don't have anything HELPFUL to say then keep your mouth shut. Yes, we are all entitled to our own opinions but ALL you do is start drama, and I'm sorry, but I'm sick of it. I've seen multiple people call you out on this, and it is getting ridiculous now. People are here looking for advice, support, and helpful information. And you aren't adding anything useful. We don't need your drama on our board, so please stop.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards