Latino Weddings

Need advice on wedding party

I am an causasian female going to marry into a traditional hispanic family. I already plan on having my two future sister in laws in my wedding party and my plan is to have my sister and two close friends for a total of five for my wedding party. My fiance is going to have his two single brothers a single cousin and wants to have another cousin who is married and a friend who is married as his five in the party. But he says that it is tradition to have the wives of his groomsmen as my bridemaids. I have never met either of these woman and think that my bridal party should be people that support me and us in this decision. Has anyone had to deal with something like this? If so any suggestions on compromise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Need advice on wedding party

• latina40299latina40299 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    are you having any padrinos(god parents) ? if your not sure ask your FI , you can use both or one of the couples for padrinos instead of having them in the bridal party. Hope that helps
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My FI's family is pretty traditional but he's having his uncle, who is married, in the bridal party and I am not having his wife as a bridesmaid.  Nobody even mentioned it.
  • edited December 2011
    Kudos to you for including your future SILs in your wedding party!! This is one thing that will definitely keep you in the good graces of your inlaws, plus it will hopefully help build a bond between you and his sisters (if you don't already have one).As for making the wives of your groomsmen part of your bridesmaids, well I don't find it necessary. No one in my generation has done that when they got married and I never heard anyone get upset about it. Try to at least sit the wives of the groomsmen near the wedding party table so they don't feel too weird.
  • jury323jury323 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having 2 married groomsmen and 1 married bridesmaid but their wife/husband aint coming out in my bridal party!
  • edited December 2011
    I am hispanic and I have never heard of such tradition. Explain to your FI that it is important for you to have you friends in the as your BM. Besides you don't even know his cousin wives that well. By the way it was very nice of you to include your FSIL in the wedding party. Now that tradition I have heard of before.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sweet__peasweet__pea member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had not heard of that 'tradition', so IMHO, I think that it would suck if you 'had" to include your FSIL into your WP.  I would gracefully tell him that it is your choice to select your BP, just as it was his choice to select his party.Ask him if he would feel the same way if some of your girls were married and he had to include their husbands into his party.
  • Genie03Genie03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello Ladies. I'm new. So rotty if I but into your conversations, but I also wanted to say that my DH also told me this too. Even though I'm hispanic too I had never heard of this. So we decided to make that padrinos of arras or lazo instead then to upset anyone. Hth.
  • Genie03Genie03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know why I put rotty. But I meant sorry. oops
  • kabarcakabarca member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there! I'm with everybody else. I've never heard of such thing that its "tradition" because its not. I'm sorry to say that but you need to be informed of that stuff if your FI doesn't tell you correctly. Remember that it is also your wedding and you also have a big say in what you want! Don't let anyone tell you other wise. If you are going to have a bridesmaid/groom that is married, they DO NOT need to have their spouse as the parter for your bridal party. For me, I just prefer to have friends b/c my only brother HATES socializing and my FIL's are Jehovah Witness (we are Catholic) and they prefer not to be part of the wedding party. So, remember its your wedding and you have say in what you want also and not just your FI ideas. I had a bit of trouble with my FI in some things and compromised with the bridal party and Padrinos. We went 50/50 on those things. Hope to help you and make you realize that its not a "tradition" of the spouse being part of the bridal party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards