Registry and Gift Forum
Options

honeyfund.com?

Anyone out there used or are using this?  How does it work?  The website is extremely vague. 

Re: honeyfund.com?

• Options
    You register for stuff you'd like to do on your HM, and your guests pay the money. Then the company takes a % and sends you a check for the difference. Incidently, they are generally percieved as tacky.
  • Options
    We used Traveler's Joy and the website was very easy to follow and understand.Honeyfund does not charge any fees if you guests pay by check.  If they want to pay by credit card they have to go through paypal and normal paypal fees apply.
  • Options
    Thanks atlcatlover!  I seriously could not figure out how it worked. 
  • Options
    Registries in general are tacky if you think about it.
  • Options
    this is coming from theknot.com 3. Old School Rule: Your registry should consist entirely of housewares for your new home. New Rule You can register for anything from honeymoon hotel accommodations to skiing equipment. Guess what, Grandma? Lots of couples live together before they get married and may have all of the towels and blenders they'll ever want. You can request upgraded versions of home items you already own, but nothing should stop you from creating a honeymoon or otherwise "untraditional" registry. These are your gifts, and you need to be happy with them! If you're inviting a few Internet-less guests, including items from a brick-and-mortar store they can actually get to will help prevent a buildup of unwanted presents. But you should feel free to include a ping-pong table for your basement or the complete Sex and the City DVD collection on your wish list if you can't use yet another kitchen appliance. A word of caution: Some of the older folks think that they know what brides and grooms really need, so they may get you an iron even if you haven't requested one.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks!  That makes me feel better about it.Also, I like how this deviated off the original subject... 
  • Options
    they have samples on their site once you sign up.  we also looked at some real ones, by typing in generic names into the search like "smith" - find someone who's going the same place as you - that will help.
  • Options
    I'm failing to see the point of honeyfund. It seems like a sham to me. Someone "buys you dinner on the beach" but it's not like the guest gets to book the actual dinner, you just get a check and you could use the cash to have dinner or do something completely different if you wish. So in essence aren't you kind of just registering for cash?To your actual question though, looking at their website it doesn't look like they charge any fees to register through the site or for your guests to purchase you a "gift", but it's not clear if they take a percentage of the total before they cut you a check. Personally the whole thing just seems shady to me. Any reputable business should be able to clearly detail out their process from start to finish.
  • Options
    i am looking into registering for my honeymoon as well.  i think you need to look at all of the different websites out there that provide these services AS WELL AS call their customer service line and get a person to describe it to you in detail and answer your questions.  that is what i am planning to do.  and i do not think it is tacky to do this, everyone i know who has or is getting married within the next year is doing this.  i think it is just new so people are not sure about it...my mom thinks it is tacky, but i have done a lot of research and it seems quite common.
  • Options
    I did neither of those things.  And I just re-read the rules.  I don't see anywhere where I violated them... maybe you can help me find where I did.
  • Options
    IDK it just seems like a big lie to me. As a guest I buy you an excursion to swim with the dolphins. You get my $100 and decide you'd rather do dinner on the beach. Then when you get back from the HM you send my a TY card for what? Swimming with the dolphins or dinner on the beach? Either way my money didn't go towards what I thought it was going towards. So I just think it's very misleading for guests and it just seems like a really round about way of asking for cash and that's what doesn't sit well with me.
  • Options
    The etiquette articles on the knot are ridiculously tacky and I don't care what they say, these things are tacky.  If the wedding industry is telling you something that you spend money on is ok it's because it makes money for the industry.  I don't care about the "guess what grandma" stuff - some things are timeless and for our family this would be one of them.
  • Options
    I have never used that website.  I found a website way back where you could choose what you wanted to be included in your HM package, but they also charged a fee so I was not interested.Besides, like they mentioned, if guests are paying and then they give you a check... it is a cash gift.I don't know what will be the point of using the website.But I have no idea how it works, I am just basing my comment on what I've read.
  • Options
    AS A GUEST:  I've never given cash as a wedding gift because it seems kind of impersonal, and because my Christmas cash always ends up spent at the grocery store or gas station.  But if I knew the cash was intended for a particular experience (swimming with the dolphins, if you will), I'd feel better about it.  If I found out later the dolphins never happened and my gift paid for Chinese take-out and a movie, I really wouldn't care.AS A BRIDE: I looked at honeyfund too, but decided not to pursue it.  We might not know until our wedding day how much of our registry was fulfilled, so counting on it to help cover the expense of the honeymoon could be unreliable (and stressful).  And if we're simply asking people to help pay for what we can afford anyway, why not let them give cash?Then again, as a guest, cash isn't as personal....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards