Maryland-Baltimore

Alterations/Columbia Bridal

I bought my dress at Columbia Bridal and figured I would get the alterations done there.  However, someone on the board posted a recent comment about knowing two people who went there and was not happy about the alterations.  I didn't pay it much mind.  However, speaking to a friend today who told me their coworker also had a bad experience with alterations there made me a little nervous.  Now, I can't find the post.  I thought it was under the "where did you buy your dress?" thread but it's not.So anyway, has anyone else had a bad experience there with alterations?Also, I am curious to know how many people are getting their alterations done at the place that they bought their dress.  Or are you taking it some where else?  I may need some rec's for alterations.  I know Angie is mentioned a lot on the board but she is too far!

Re: Alterations/Columbia Bridal

• budgetmamabudgetmama member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think it was Kimbrout that originally posted about Columbia Briday. Isabel Donnelly is in Ellicott City - she gets recommended on here a lot. Let me know if you want her contact info.
  • budgetmamabudgetmama member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Briday - haha!
  • edited December 2011
    Diana Adams and Sheryl Kelm are the other two often recommended seamstresses. Review of DIana in my bio. I plan to use her again when I am a BM in a wedding this coming April.For what its worth, I've never heard a *good* review of Columbia Bridal. Only stories about bad alterations and rude/mean salespeople.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • edited December 2011
    I loved Sheryl Kelm-she is in Pasadena. Very reasonably priced, responsive, and a delight to deal with.
  • edited December 2011
    It was me that posted to rechance below about Columbia. My bridesmaids used Isabella donnely and loved her. Her and Sheryl kelm are board favs. Oh and Diana Adams.
  • ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you ladies. I actually had a good experience buying my dress from there.  The sales lady I had was GREAT!!! Super nice!!!  I went with my mom, sister and grandmother and we had a lot of fun!  So I guess every situation is different bc I had a bad experience at Nikos and I hear some ladies love it there.  Not me!!!  Even though I had a great "buying" experience, I don't want to take my chances with alterations.  Where is Diane Adams located? The other two are located in Pasadena and Ellicot City - no too far but a little drive.  Def. would like to have someone a little closer (i live by white marsh). My dress should be here in December so I still have some time. :)  
  • mmattoonmmattoon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Diana Adams is in Glen Burnie. She is SUPER nice and very reasonably priced. I had a not-so-great experience at Niko's as well. The woman who helped me seemed very disinterested and unaccomodating. It all depends on who you get, I'm sure :) I actually went with Grace and Elegance, who I really LOVE. Myrna is awesome... but she's moving to SC.
  • rechancerechance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress from Columbia Bridal Boutique and they've been okay so far. No one's been rude or snobby. I'm also happy with the alterations they're making and they did a lot of the pinning while I was standing there in the dress. My 1st fitting is Nov. 18 so I'll see how it turns out.
  • Snowhte21Snowhte21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought a bridesmaids dress from Columbia Bridal about 2 years ago. The customer service was fine, the alterations were not. They didn't have it ready on the day I was scheduled to pick it up, so I waited an hour in the store while they worked on it. After trying it on, it still looked unfinished. The funny part it, I took the dress to Diana Adams last summer to have the dress altered for another wedding and when she looked at it, there were still pins in the hem where they forgot to sew.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't get my dress from Columbia, but I do understand exactly where you are coming from, and why you feel that way. My advice? Follow your instincts, and take your dress to someone else!I posted a very similar thread about 2 months ago or so. I purchased my gown at Francesca's bridal in Nottingham. The dress is beautiful, and I have been satisfied with the service that I have received thus far. However, while looking on the WW, I came across a negative review about their alterations department. Curious, I did an online search and turned up multiple complaints and negative reviews about their seamstress, and they all carried a similar thread. At that point, I knew that I would not let their seamstress get a hold of my gown. So I put out an SOS on the board, and Sheryl Kelm was recommended - I reached out to her and she will now be doing my gown. I have to say, I am much more comfortable now with how my dress will look. I ordered it in June, and its due back within the next couple of months. So, yes, I am one of many who I know are not getting our dresses done at the salon of purchase!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards