Florida-Central Florida

children and weddings

we are having major issues with this due to some family members who want to use our wedding as a babysitting service (long story). do you find it rude to not have kids at a wedding?

Re: children and weddings

• edited December 2011
    Having children at a wedding is a personal decision that everyone has to face.My daughter had a formal, evening wedding and, IMO, children don't belong at late evening events.  What I do feel is rude is when parents automatically assume that their precious little darling must be invited to a wedding or any other function.
  • edited December 2011
    The only lil one that is invited to our wedding is FI's nephew who will be just about 11 months old on our wedding day. He is our ring bearer and we are happy to have him be a part of our day. If he was not Harry's nephew we would not be having a ring bearer and we're not having a flower girl. Maybe this is a little bridezilla of me but I want our friends and family to share in our day enjoy themselves. A large number of our friends have children (some have two!) and it would turn into a romper room. :) No one seems to mind, but I"ve been upfront about this and they are happy to find a babysitter for "night off." So the short answer is - no I don't find it rude. It's your day/night and in the end people will know that. :) Good luck with family! :)
    jeannie ♥ harry {05.01.10}
    married bio with vendor reviews
    planning bio
  • edited December 2011
    ok thank you! i just wanted to make sure i'm not out of line or being bride-zilla-ish. i'm amazed at how some people are acting as this wedding gets closer. my oh my :)
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do you find it rude to not have kids at a wedding? i prefer weddings without children there. they tend to be disruptive, imo. but that's just me!
  • bluepoet2007bluepoet2007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have any kids at our wedding---no FG or RB either. I don't think it's rude at all, as long as you're up front with your guests about it. (Being up front may still be lost on some, and you may still get some calls asking about kids, but at least YOU'LL know you got the word out.)
  • edited December 2011
    No children are allowed at my wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't have any children at our wedding, and no FG or RB either.MANY friends have children, and so did some of our cousins.My Dad spread the word out to his side of the family, and MIL spread it to theirs.  One cousin did call to make sure and confirm that I wasn't going to be able to see little baby, but I assured him that I'd be able to see her another day.Anyway, no one brought any kids and I know a few people left early because of it, but I'm okay with that.I DO NOT think it's rude to not have children at a wedding.  If people know ahead of time, they can make a decision whether or not they want to attend.  Just because you have kids doesn't mean they're going to be welcome all the time.GL!
  • mrussell1983mrussell1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a parent, I find it EASIER to enjoy myself at a wedding. Not that I don't love doing things with my daughter of course, but she is six years old. I would be spending the entire night making sure she was happy and behaving instead of celebrating. I would prefer that she is home with a sitter or at my mother's house where she isn't exposed to a lot of people drinking and getting a little silly and can get to bed on time. I remember going to weddings when I was a child because I was in the wedding and had to go. I do not remember really enjoying myself.My fiance and I originally considered allowing all family to invite children, but that ended up taking up a great deal of the guest list. Instead, my daughter, and his niece and nephew (who are all in the wedding party) will be the only children at our wedding. My brother is getting married next year and the only child there will be my daughter who will be their flower girl. There will be no ring bearer. They have already had relatives inviting their own children to the wedding.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards