Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Amateur photographers for a destination wedding

I am having a hard time deciding on what to do about my photographer. I have a VERY limited budget and I am a photographer myself so I have very high expectations. I am almost wishing I could photograph my own wedding :)
     My wedding is going to be a 6 hour drive away and the local photogs are either too expensive or not good enough. So I am thinking about asking 2 girls from one of my photography class to do my photos. They are not pros but I love their work and since neither have ever done a wedding, having both of them there will ease my mind, since it is much more likely I will get pics I will like.
     I will cover the cost of travel, hotel, and food and it will be about $150-200 total. Plus they would be free to invite whoever else they want an could have their own mini vacation on the beach. I know as a college student I would work for free if it earned me a free weekend on the beach. Should I pay them an extra $100 each or should it be more?

Re: Amateur photographers for a destination wedding

• Options
    lwolfflwolff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am new to the photographer thing, but how can you have high expectations of someone who has never photographed a wedding before? As a photographer, what would you tell one of your clients? If I were to hire you, could I pay you $200 for a destination wedding?

Based on my little experience that I have had with regards to meeting with photographers, I cannot get a local photographer to photograph my wedding locally for $200. I also think that may be a lot of pressure to put on a student...

For me, photography is important, I just don't know what bells and whistles I should expect. Living in NY, I expect to pay anywhere from $2k-$10k on photography.

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a tough call.  I'm in a similar dilemma, though I'm not a photographer.  I have a few friends who are, and one who has offered.

She's done weddings before, and she's photographed me a lot.  So I know I'm comfortable with her completely.

I would approach it this way: if they are friends of yours, a lot of times that might be considered the gift to you.  Otherwise you could talk to them.  A lot of students have on-campus photography related jobs.  See what they think would be fair.
  • Options
    maryb0076maryb0076 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I considered hiring a photographer I went to photography school with.  When I compared his images with a professional there was no comparision.  If you want quality go with a pro.  They have been doing it for much longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards