Ohio-Toledo
Options

Maumee Bay Resort

Is anyone having their wedding and/or reception at Maumee Bay?  How is the food what's included etc...?  I love it there but, am wondering how pricey it is?  I'd hate to waste their time and schedule a meeting to find out it's too expensive.  I did get on there website and have them send me info but, it's not that clear.  Any help would be great!  Thanks!

Re: Maumee Bay Resort

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would have loved to have our wedding at Maumee Bay!! That was probably our 1st choice.  But I agree, the website was not very clear, and it sounded to me that there may be some hidden costs (especaially with the bar packages).  If I were you I would definitely sit down with the coordinator to get a better idea. It wouldn't be a waste of their time since that's part of their job responsibilities.  The location is amazing (so beautiful)!I have friends that have gone to weddings there and they say the food was great (appetizers especially). And from my understanding there are many options of locations at the park to hold wedding/reception (tents vs building).I'm from out of town (just moved back to Toledo a couple of months ago) so I knew many of my guests were going to need overnight accomodations.  I'm not sure if you will have OOT guests but, the room rates were higher than hotels (in my opinion) and depending on the season, there was a minimum 2 night stay. Which would be nice for those from OOT but if you were local and just wanted to get a room for the night to play it safe after drinking I didn't think people would want to stay 2 nites. But I'm sure that is something that could be discussed with the coordinator and maybe they don't enforce that min. stay for special events?? I say make an appointment and get the details  :o)Good luck and sorry for all my babble!
  • Options
    ellenalabamaellenalabama member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I am going to book an appt.  & not babble at all!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked at maumee bay before i booked my wedding site and have to tell you be prepared when you get there. The lady in charge is not the nicest person in the world and seems put out with every question you ask. The main thing they tell you is that they are a conferance center not a baquet hall for weddings. We found lots of hidden cost that at first she never told us about until she sent us the papers to sign for the contract and the prices were way off from what we talked about. I decided at that point to start looking for another location & found the park inn downtown. They have a nice ballroom & the people you work with are amazing. They have been upfront about all the pricing we have incurred. Hope you have a way better experience there than I did & it works out for you. Just remember to look around & get prices before you make a final decision since it is tough to get your money back & get out of a contract.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here is a review from 9/9/09 from a recent bride who got married at Maumee Bay... Also, here is a website that I have used to help me figure out picking local vendors....http://toledoohioweddingreview.blogspot.com/"Maumee Bay Resort. B The food was very good (and plentiful) but the contact with the wedding coordinator was lacking. The service and event staff were very friendly and easy to work with. My only complaint was with their wedding coordinator/contact person. She was not able to give us an itemized list until two weeks before the wedding and we had requested it several months earlier. I thought this was odd because it is hard to make final decisions so close to the wedding date. We would call and ask questionsand it was take a long time for a response. However, if the contact person needed something, she would expect us to return forms/payments/etc immediately. I just felt a bit pushed around in this process. The venue itself was beautiful and linens and set up turned out great. Every waitstaff was very friendly and they had special waitstaff specifically serving the bride and groom food and beverages. The array of food and alcohol options provides the ability to go with a higher or lower price plan depending on your budget. My only other complaint was the rental fee for the ceremony and reception. I had assumed it went toward your final payment but it does not. It is a rental charge. For a place such as Maumee Bay, there should NOT be this high of charge. I am certain they make enough money elsewhere to cover this charge. Overall, I loved the venue and the weather was amazing. The balcony over the lake provided a magical and scenic view and our guests only had to find one location. I just wish I would have had better communication with the wedding event staff. "
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    pay thousands of dollars to get treated like crap.....what a concept!  I don't think any amount of "beauty" is worth that....
  • Options
    nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I desperately wanted our wedding there originally...but after dealing with them and even trying to book our wedding there...it just never worked out.  Mainly because another couple was looking for the same day...and instead of letting us put a deposit, they "reviewed" our wedding needs and "awarded" the date to the other couple. We were pretty upset at first...until I realized that things work out for a reason.  Everything they've offered us at the zoo is still going to be amazing...for several thousand less than MB. Plus we're getting better customer service, better communication, and much cheaper hotels for our out-of-town guests. Good luck whatever you choose!  Beautiful location...but a lot of money for crappy treatment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    NicoleP2011NicoleP2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I read this because we have just began looking for places for our January 1, 2011 ceremony and I was thinking about Maumee Bay, but there are other places too. We are trying to do it out of Toledo (my family is from Mansfield) so one family doesn't feel screwed into traveling and the others aren't. I was originally looking at Findlay (its literally the halfway point from Mansfield/Toledo) but there's not really anything there. Other places in the running are Kalahari Resort in Sandusky and Mon Ami Winery in Port Clinton...anybody else have ideas I could steal?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards