Oregon

Is it worth it?

For all of you who have been there done that. We are having trouble picking between two places. Both have their pros and cons and what it is really coming down to whether the cost difference is worth it. One venue is everything I could want and is low in cost. Downside is it would be a total DIY. Which I am not against but also have never done this before. We would be renting all the tables, chairs, deco and setting it up. The other is more BUT they provide all of the above and includes set up, take down and garbage haul away. My question is I have no idea how stressed out I'm going to be and how thin I will be stretching myself. By the time we have rented everything I think we will save about $1000 with the cheaper place but will I enjoy my day more if all this stuff is taken care of for me? Thanks!

Re: Is it worth it?

• edited December 2011
    It totally depends on how much help you will have.  For us, we didn't want to have to ask friends and family to frantically run around and do a bunch of stuff, so we paid for most of it to be done.   The day goes by fast and I'm not sure it's worth the savings if it's just going to make for that much more you have to worry about or ask family to take care of.  If you love the DIY place, but don't want to worry about all the details, you could hire someone to take care of that stuff.  We have a few ladies on here that specialize in helping DIY brides get organized so they don't feel like everything is up to them to do.Some brides on here in the past have swapped services also.  You could swap help with table set up/break down and garbage pick up. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad our venue did all of the set up an arranged the rentals for us. I was especially grateful when the misty beach rain hit in the afternoon, after it beign sunny all day. The venue called the rental company out to add some sides to our tent, which is something I would not have done myself if i was coordinating it all. If we didnt have those sides we woudl have been in deep doo doo with not enough space for our guests.
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on which one you like more. If you like the cheaper DIY one more, then I say go with that one. If they're about equal, I'd go with the better services one. It also depends on what your finances are like. For a $40,000 wedding, saving $1,000 might not seem like much. But if you're planning a $5,000 wedding, $1,000 savings is a lot.
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Have you gotten the rentals quoted already? there might be "hidden fees" you arent aware of.If you DIY, what about a DOC to make sure things are in place and taken care of so you can go about your day worry free?  Depending on your budget, you'd probably still come in under the cost of the other venue.
  • edited December 2011
    If you're going to save that much money for your perfect venue, get a DOC. I would have lost my mind if I was trying to set up tables and decorations. I would seriously discourage anyone from trying to do that themselves.
  • summerslaosummerslao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with kat_hi.  Make sure you've REALLY figured out how much all the DIY stuff will really cost.  Some all inclusive places provide center pieces or at least parts you can use.  Linens, tables, chairs, silverware, dishware, and a staff.  Plus if you rent dishes, most of the time you have at least rinse them off before returning them so you would need someone to be in charge of that.  The last thing you want to do on your wedding night is wash dishes!  Do you like the all inclusive place as much as the less expensive please?  If you like the cheaper place better maybe invest part of the $1000 into a DOC, as mentioned above, or some type of staff to handle the clean up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Also, remember if there is any breakage to your rentals, you will be liable. Just a few plates and glasses add up FAST. I did it both ways (heh) and I preferred having someone else do the work, as it left me in a position to spend time with my family and relax. Set up and breakdown can be a real beeyatch, and when you are in charge of everything, your day becomes about being an event coordinator, not a bride. DOC's are great and well worth every penny spent.
  • Michle315Michle315 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really breaks down to how much time do you have to spend on setting up (and help.) We also had 2 places to pick from, but of course chose the one who did all the set up, and tear down. So I could actually spend time for myself that day and the days leading up. I also didnt want to spend hours after the wedding taking stuff down. So yea it boils down to how much extra stress you want to add. Though some have done it with no problem, I just think if you have the option to have someone do the work then take them up on it! It may cost more but in the long run its totally worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards