Catholic Weddings

Two Maid of Honors during Catholic Ceremony?

I'm not sure if anyone is in the same predicament as me, but I have chosen two maid of honors for my wedding (my 2 sisters). However, I know that typically only one person stands up for the bride and groom during a Catholic ceremony. Has anyone ever been to a wedding with two MOH's at the altar? Or are you planning on having two yourself? I know I can ask my priest, but we don't meet with him again until January. I figured in the meantime I would see if anyone on here had any answers.

Re: Two Maid of Honors during Catholic Ceremony?

• hugnkiss15hugnkiss15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not having 2 maid of honors but my FI is having 2 best men. Our priest said that having them both up there was not a problem and they had enough kneels for as many people as we wanted up there (im sure he was just joking to get the point accross). I guess that would be your only concern. If you need to know now, i would just call the rectory and ask the secretary.
  • hugnkiss15hugnkiss15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kneels = kneelers. sorry
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I had both of my sisters as MOH. They were both on the altar with us (as were our 2 Best Men). There was really no problem with it. One held my bouquet, the other took care of my train and veil. Only one can sign your marriage license as a witness, though, so you will need to split up the duties.
  • Tasha8182Tasha8182 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, hopefully my priest will say the same thing when I meet with him again in January. I was hoping to hear similar stories from what you both told me. I think that I would really crush one of my sisters if I had to choose between the two and only one could stand with me. As far as the marriage certificate, neither of my sisters can sign it anyway. They will only be 15 & 16 at the time of my wedding. My fiances two brothers (the BM & a groomsman) will be signing it.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I have seen weddings with two Maids of Honor, and both Maids of Honor were on the altar. No, I'm not having two Maids of Honor personally. But yeah, I've seen it done.
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i have never seen this done, but as long as there is room for 2, i dont see an issue.for my sisters church however, the BM and MOH kneel the entire time off to the side of the alter, and do not sit/stand at the alter until the vow part.  this would have been an issue for you i guess then since there aren't extra kneelers nor room for 3.
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to several Catholic weddings where the whole bridal party stood up during the vows, and the bride and groom sat on the side of the altar, and the WP sat in the front row. I am in a similar predicament with my 2 sisters, but am leaning to no MOH or best man so we can both pacify our siblings (we're both the oldest of 3) by not choosing friends, but not choosing between the siblings. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • kmiller1012kmiller1012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having 2 Matron of Honors (my sisters) and they both had two.  My one sister had 2 and 1 best man and my other sister had 2 and 2 best men.  There was no problem, they just put out enough chairs and kneelers for everyone on the alter.  The rest of the bridal party were in the pews.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • scoffindafferscoffindaffer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having 3: a matron of honor (in charge of the train/veil), a junior maid (in charge of the flowers) and the maid (in charge of the speech)--They will all be up there--I don't think it will be a big deal :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards