DC
Options

Thoughts on Venue in DC

We are trying to plan for our wedding that is coming up pretty soon. One of the venues we are considering is the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel. Does any one have any thoughts on this venue for a wedding reception. We have been a bit concerned anout reviews on the rooms in the hotel but don't have any idea about experiences of people hosting an event/wedding reception. Is the neighborhood safe?

Re: Thoughts on Venue in DC

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never been there for a wedding, but I once stayed there for a conference a few years ago.  From what I remember, it was really, really, really, really nice.  Maybe the quality has gone down?  I'm not sure what people could be referring to.  The conference used the hotel's ballrooms and their catering; the ballroom is beautiful, and the food was good hotel food. The neighborhood is not bad.  It's right next to the Mall, and while it's also near some major roads, I don't remember it being bad. Other thoughts?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!! This is helpful. Anyone else have any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live a couple of blocks away from the hotel. While it's not might favorite hotel, it's not horrible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we actaully went there to see it for a possibility for a venue. before we went, just from seeing the pics, i thought for sure it would be my favorite place and the place i wanted to get married; but the cordinator that we were supposed to meet was late by like 40 mintues, and when she showed us around, she couldnt show us a room that would be avail. for guests to stay in?? (well why would i agree to pay all the money there and have my wedding there if i couldnt see where my guests and myself would be staying???!!) so anyway, we saw one place where we could have the ceremony- but it looked like a greenery and we asked how shed sit the guests and b/c it was so narrow, we could only have like 4-5 ppl per row?...so with 150 guests, most ppl in the back couldnt hear?! lol so then we saw the ballroom and thought it was gorgeous and i loved it- it was the one i had always thought about when thinking about a reception in a ballroom but when we got talking about logisitics, the cordiniator woman was saying that it wasnt her job to help with logisitics/anything. When we asked her if we rented linens- who would be avail,. to help w/ telling the company where to go and details etc and she said it was our job to hire a cordinator for the day of and that it wasnt her job AT ALL to help w/ anything. so i took it as relativeley rude and decided not to do my wedding there. they were accomodating AT ALL considering anyone having a wedding there is spending a considerable amnt there. anyway, we had a bad experience but i think its a gorgeous hotel. i hope you have a better experience ! GL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!! This is very helpful. Does anyone have any thoughts about the Sheraton National? We have concerns about the way the neighborhood looks? Thanks, Samantha
  • Options
    psmith1216psmith1216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I went to visit L'Enfant (same as pp) I thought it would be our favorite due to the pics and the person who was supposed to meet with us never showed up after we waited an hour and she never emailed to apologize. I'm having my reception at the Marriott at Metro Center (its on 12th and H Streets) right downtown and its really reasonable and includes a lot of things in our package price (including tax/gratuity, cake, room block, chargers, basic lighting, etc).  If you want some more info such as price or a person to contact let me know: psmith1216 at gmail dot com.  good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I stayed there for a conference, and frankly, the food and the rooms were mediocre trending bad.  I mean, there were no bugs or anything, but I would never have my wedding there.  I think it used to be nicer.
  • Options
    VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I am planning on visiting this weekend.  The person I spoke to seemed very friendly and responsive.  Perhaps there has been some staff changes.
  • Options
    nicole0712nicole0712 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    also try the marriott in greenbelt maryland. there extremely friendly..and dont forget to also try a few Hilton's and "westin Hotels"..i ve stayed at a few for conventions and conf. ...very nice rooms and the staff is extremely accomodating and friendly..and i;ve been to about 3 different locations!
  • Options
    VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I visited the L'enfant Plaza Hotel and wanted to report back.  It was a great visit.  I met with a very friendly and responsive woman who used to do wedding planning.  FI and I thought the ballroom and solarium were great.  Also, the hotel was tasteful without being over the top glitzy.  We had a lot of different considerations: babysitting room, pet concerns, dietary requirements, musicians for the cocktail hour etc and the woman we were talking to took it all in stride.  We were able to visit a guest room too.  It was a good experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards