Wedding Etiquette Forum

XP: Tipping- Food Tasting

We just had our food tasting at our reception venue (sooo sooo good!) and everyone was so accomodating... We got home and just wondered, "Should we have tipped?" The venue coordinator was there, as were a couple servers and the chef. Did you tip after your tasting? Should we send a thank you and a tip now? Everything was just so good, we don't want to be rude!

Thanks!
7/10/10 imageDandy

Re: XP: Tipping- Food Tasting

• My parents were with us and my dad tipped.

IMO, it would have been a nice thing to do.
  • Our tasting was at our house, and we paid $200 for it. I didn't even think to tip them! Darn, now I wish I had, because they cleaned my kitchen better than I normally do. I'll tip them well after the reception, though, because they rock!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • polichikpolichik member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I would DEFINITELY send a thank-you and a generous tip. Even though you'll be giving them your business later with the wedding, the servers were still probably making $2/hour while they were serving you.

I can understand why you forgot, so don't feel bad, but I'm sure they would be really happy if you sent one in now. Who knows... You might even get better than average service at the wedding!

ETA: Since my parents are paying for the food for the wedding, FIL took care of the tip for the tasting (which was free for 8 people, including wine). I think he tipped $70 or something like that.
  • What if your tasting is included in the price of the wedding package and the package says a 20% gratuity is included in the per person price?  Still tip?  If yes, how much?  (our tasting is Thursday)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Tipping is always nice. 
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_xp-tipping-food-tasting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8c8dc81e-d374-46cf-899d-e4d3547db0e2Post:4afe6b20-a8d0-49ce-9107-c8c4c15aa292">Re: XP: Tipping- Food Tasting</a>:
    [QUOTE]What if your tasting is included in the price of the wedding package and the package says a 20% gratuity is included in the per person price?  Still tip?  If yes, how much?  (our tasting is Thursday)
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

If you're positive it's a gratuity (which goes directly to the staff) and not service charge (which goes directly to the catering company/restaurant and NOT the staff), I'd still tip. Probably 20% of what the cost of the food would be.

I don't think it's necessary, but given how little servers are paid, it's a nice touch.
  • Yeah, I just don't know how much the food would be.  It's a private club and I don't think they allow tipping for members so I assume the staff is paid better than a waiter at Appleby's.  I'll just try to guess and put something down, haha :)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Yeah, ours was included for 5 people in the wedding cost, and gratuity is added on, like in TR's case.

My mom and I definitely want to send a thank you and a tip now, but it's hard to gauge how much to send. We all received a half glass of wine, other beverage, and small tasting portions of each course... so I have no idea what the "cost" of food was, making it hard to know what 20% actually is!
    7/10/10 imageDandy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards