Michigan-Detroit

Hair Vent!

Ugh, so I'm growing my hair out for the wedding. I used to have long hair, most of my life actually. But I'm starting to get so frustrated with it! It started near my chin, where it was for 3 years... now it's at about my armpits.The condition is good, but it weighs itself down so much it's horribly flat and curtain-y looking.So here's where I need your help, should I suck it up, and spend the money to get some shape put in it? If so, what should I do? Right now I'm leaning towards chunky layers starting from my nose.... any thoughts are welcome!

Re: Hair Vent!

• edited December 2011
    If it has been more than 3 months since your last trim,you probably should get it cut a little,adding layers will give you more shape without taking the length off.
  • whrldtravlrwhrldtravlr member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to second Amanda. Definitely get some trimmed up and chunky layers may take a lot of that weight off. Just because you have long hair doesn't mean you have to look Amish. ;)
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I HUGELY dig razor cut long layers. If I EVER straighten my hair I'll show you what I mean LMAO (Chunky layers look great too, but be careful not to cut them too short, then you'll end up with "the Rachel", yeah? hahaha)
    Steph and Chris, 6/26/10
    Planned Executed
  • edited December 2011
    Is there a reason you need it so long for the hairstyles you're hoping for?  I know that mine was right around my shoulders (the tops of my shoulders) for most of the updo's I've ever had.I say get some shape put into it!  Your ticker says you have 11 more months, your hair will drive you crazy in that amount of time if it's already drving you crazy now.  And, in that amount of time, most of it will probably grow out anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    I totally feel you... growing my hair out has been the absolute worst part of this wedding process - yuck!But I agree with PP - layers for volume & shape would look great!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Just make sure if you do get layers, don't get them cut too short (especially if you plan on getting an updo) Also, as I absolutely LOOOVEEE razor cuts & how they make my hair look... they also make my hair have more split ends. AND sometimes the the stylist gets a little too razor happy & i end up with reeaaallyyyy short layers.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto about being careful to avoid 'the rachel' but layers will def. help with movement. My hair is just longer than 'armpit length' - its also stick straight and fine. My shortest layers are longer than my chin.  Its not super big volume but not at all curtain-like. Do you have a stylist you know and trust? Talk with him/her about it  and see what they suggest.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with getting a razor cut for the layers.  It looks great and takes alot of the weight off, but at the same time you run into split end issues early on.  Great products thought o circumvent them - Pantene Great Lengths (Shampoo and Conditioner) or anything from the Garnier line.  Also, if you end up getting it cut shorter than expected, taking B vitamins or Biotin (vitamins) always have helped me grow out my hair longer.  I had the same issue before I get engaged. My hair was the longest it has ever been and I was done with it.  Now I'm trying to grow it out!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like PP said, try layers. That always brought life back to my hair.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally know how you feel.  I usually keep my hair about chin length and I let it grow a little longer than normal (shoulders) because I was in a couple weddings this summer and I wanted updos.  I hate when it gets long because my hair is so thick and its too much to manage and as soon as the last wedding passed, I went and cut off about 4 inches.  I've decided not to grow out my hair for my wedding for a couple reasons: 1) I HATE managing with my hair when its longer. 2) I've decided I don't like the way I look with my hair in updos.  I never wear my hair up so it doesn't look like "me" No clue what I'll do with it...but I'll have a hairdresser help out.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards