Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Poll: Choosing your dress

Whose opinion mattered the most to you when you chose your dress, or whose opinion will matter the most if you haven't gotten it yet ?

Re: Poll: Choosing your dress

• Options
    To be honest, my mom and sister's opinion mattered just as much as my own.  I wanted to find a dress that we ALL loved, and I did!
  • Options
    My own and hoped my DH would too and he did. my mom passed away 5 years ago so it was tough to go without her, i went with my best friend and she loved it too. but in the end im the only ony wearing it so i had to love it over everyone else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My mom wasn't shy about telling me which dresses didn't flatter me or made me look heavier ... so while the comments about my weight stung a bit, I also appreciated her honesty.
  • Options
    My own and my FI's (yup he's seen the dress.)  After that, my parents, although they weren't very helpful and they weren't available to shop with me, but they did see pictures of them.  Other than that, I listened to others' opinions but they didn't weigh very much in my decision.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My dad's the one who actually picked my dress. He's always picked my dresses (prom, homecoming) and has great taste.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mine and my moms
  • Options
    Mine.I did not take anyone with me when I went dress shopping. One reason being I am still new to the city and my family and friends don't live here, another being I don't have a bridal party, another being my FI and I are the ones paying for our wedding, and another being I did not need or want anyone oohing and aahing and telling me what looks good or not - I am more than old enough to be able to decide what works for me or not and what dress I want to buy :) I went to the first store, tried on a couple dresses I picked, then tried on three the saleswoman brought me. The last one I tried on was not one I figured I would find myself in (it had many elements I did like - elegant, fitted/ruched, no train, simple, sweetheart neckline, and others I did not think I was interested in - it was taffeta, trumpet skirt, heavier, constructed with a corset back) and as soon as I put it on, and looked in the mirror I knew it was right.I still went to two other stores afterwards and tried on some more pretty...but not amazing dresses.Within 1.5 hours of starting my dress shopping I was done (I should mention another reason I went on my own is I don't like clothes shopping all that much to begin with!).Of course, I did consider what FI would also like - he saw a picture of the dress as well after I paid my deposit on it - however ultimately it was up to me, and my wallet :)
  • Options
    Mine! I have very specific tastes. Having said, that, both my mom and sis loved it, which was important to me.
  • Options
    I went shopping with my mom and my dad. My dad thought all the dresses looked nice and all of them looked the same to him lol. My mom and I tend to agree on clothes and I told her in advance what dresses I was thinking about so she could call the store ahead of time and they could get them ready for me. I thought I would want an all-lace dress but in the end I ended up picking one that was more detailed with more "sparkle" :)
  • Options
    Mine.  I went shopping alone for most of my trips, partially bc my MOH/BMs and mom/MIL all live nowhere near me.  By the time I went shopping with my mom and MIL, I had a good idea of what I liked.My mom loved my second choice dress, and pushed hard for me to get it.  But I spent enough time learning what I liked that I knew the one we bought was more 'me', and what I really wanted.  Truthfully, I didn't even consider my FI's opinion- I know he's going to love it mostly just bc I'm the one wearing it.
  • Options
    Mine.  My dad's opinion was up there, but when it came down to it, I chose based on my opinion.  I'm the one wearing it, after all, not my dad or my mom or my friends.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    mine! I also listened to the shop lady, it turned out we liked the same thing. My mom was the only person I brought and she didn't really give an opinion one way or the other.
  • Options
    Mine! I went shopping alone (all my BMs live in different states). But two of my BMs are fashionistas, so their opinions mattered to me. When I tried on the dress in the store, they were able to set up a webcam conference with my BM who lives 1,500 miles away! It was nice to have that validation.I love my mom, but we're not SUPER close -- and I think she has zero fashion sense. So she hasn't been involved with my wedding dress (or any other aspects of our wedding) at all.
  • Options
    Wow I thought I was the only one who liked shooping alone..lol. I am also new to the city and have no one close by, plus I had to drive 2 hours to find the dress I wanted. Called ahead, they had it, I set the appt. My fiance dropped me off, and I tried on my dress and a few others just to be sure. But, I knew it was the one before I got there. Within 2 hours I was paying and out the door. My mother had seen pictures, and she knew too. And once I showed her pics of me in it, my feelings were confirmed.Actually, I liked the fact that women I didnt know gave me their opinions. I knew they were unbiased.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Mine, my mom's & my sister's.
  • Options
    OOP's I meant shopping.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Mine. I knew what I wanted or at the very least knew what I wanted to look like in a dress and knew how I wanted to feel in it. I figured no one else could tell me if something was "IT" or if it made me feel like a pretty pretty princess. My mother doesn't even think my dress is "IT" she liked it but she preferred a different dress. But I love my dress and that's all that counts.
  • Options
    Mine.  I went with my mom one day when I was visiting her in CA, just to get the experience with her, but then I went shopping on my own after that.  Once I found a dress I loved I brought a friend to look at it before I actually bought it, just to get another perspective. 
  • Options
    i purchased my dress alone, not seen by anyone.but my mothers, best friends and fi's opinions really mattered.they said they liked it!
  • Options
    My little sisters, actually. My mom and I dot agree on anything, and she was in the 'whatever the bride wants' attitude during wedding planning, so I knew I couldn't depend on her to be honest (which was the bane of our wedding planning). My sister, however, is brutally honest, and was not afraid to tell me I looked fat/ugly/uniboob whatever...which she did. So when she just about cried when I walked out in 'the one' I knew that was it.
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    [B] [/B] I had a really good idea of what I wanted when I went shopping. I ended up with one of the dresses I had pulled out of a magazine. But, in addition, my mom, sister and friends all said that it looked like "me" and I was happy.
  • Options
    My mom, my sisters and my best friends opinion mattered to me. Although if I found a dress that I loved and they didn't I would probably still have got that one.  I mainly took them to make sure that I didn't look horrible in something, I think it's always harder to see what it really looks like when your in the dress.
  • Options
    My opinion of course, and then my FI. Why the heck would I spend that much money on a dress to please others?
  • Options
    it isnt about pleasing others. it's about gettiing honest opinions about what looks good on and what is just so-so!
  • Options
    Mine, for sure! I think I tried over 100 dresses until I found the one that was me. My mom shopped with me when I visited her, but since we don't live nearby I had FMIL come for approval after I had found the dress. I also took FSIL but they didn't have the dress anymore, she did love the cut and style, so I'm happy to have the extra approvals.
  • Options
    MINE!I was down to two dresses at the end... one from PoB and one from Romona Keveza. My mother was pushing REALLY HARD for the RK and I knew in  my heart the PoB was the one.I almost chose the RK to appease my mother. Looking back, I"M SOOO GLAD I DIDN'T.Go with your gut!!
  • Options
    My step-mom. I HAD to go shopping with my mom, since she bought the dress, but every time I found a dress that I really liked I snuck back to the shop with just my step-mom- I would have had a much worse experience trying to decide without her help! (dress shopping was not very much fun for me, I'm way too picky) shhhh don't tell mom! hahahaha
    Steph and Chris, 6/26/10
    Planned Executed
  • Options
    Mine! I went alone at first, then with my mom when I had decided I wanted the dress. I was interested in her opinion but it wouldn't have changed my mind, mostly because we have different tastes and I know what I like. I think it's a very personal choice, and whilst it's nice for people not to be opposed to it, ultimately what matters most is that the dress reflects the bride.
  • Options
    Mine! My mom really did not like my dress when I came out in it. I knew it was the one no matter what anyone else said so I bought it anyways. My mom said it is growing on her. It's just not the poofy princess gown she always pictured me in.
    Marieke & Michael 5.14.10 Loving life with our 2 boys Anthony (3.22.08) and Dominic (due 2.14.11)!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards