Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake Ribbon

I would like to use black satin ribbon on our cake, but i'm worried about the buttercream icing ruining the ribbon and making it look bad.Have any of you used or are using satin ribbon on your cake? Will it work alright?And where did you purchase it from?TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cake Ribbon

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did not use satin - but I did put some ribbon on a buttercream cake this weekend and some of the color came off on the icing.  :(  I guess you could always put a string of masking tape or something along the back of your ribbon.... I think this might just be trial and error. If I come up with anything else in my DIY trials, I will post it here.

MARRIED 10.10.10 !!

October 2010 Siggy Challenge - walking down the aisle!

• Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of the cakes you see online with ribbon are using real satin ribbon and there is nothing that soaks through. You can buy it at Walmart in the craft section or Joann's/Michael's or whatever is in your area.
  • Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is something wrong with that particular spool of ribbon if the color is coming off onto the icing. That is not normal at all and very rarely happens.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Attach wax paper to the back of the ribbon using double sided tape. It works.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good to know! Thanks ladies :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our cake baker is doing a rolled fondant ribbon with a grosgrain pattern and then she's going to spray it so it has a satin sheen.  She doesn't like to use non edible components on her cakes, but I'm pretty confident that it's going to look awesome.  Good luck!
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    An alternative to pure satin ribbon you might consider is waterproof florist ribbon.  The nice thing about it is it is cheap and it will not loose color, soak up water or anything like that.It has the look of satin, but it doesn't fray.  The only thing is it is stiffer to handle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are using a bakery, the chef should supply the ribbon and place it on the cake.  Our cake comes with ribbons on the layers and the bakery is placing on the cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards