Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

ALternative for Ring Exchange

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do instead of a ring exchange. My fiance and I can't afford rings for each other and are trying to find some alternatives.

Re: ALternative for Ring Exchange

• There are many inexpensive rings that you can purchase.  If you can't afford wedding bands, how can you afford to get married and have a wedding?
  • Rings don't have to be thousands of dollars to be used.  I'm hard pressed to imagine that if you can afford a wedding, you can't afford a trip to Kohl's or Target or Walmart to get some inexpensive rings for your ceremony.  sorry.

And I'm not sure what else you'd put in its place.  Do you want to exchange something else, or just eliminate that part of the ceremony altogether.  Because if you want to exchange something else, I'd still go with inexpensive rings.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I agree with trix1223. You can get rings very cheap. I have a "spare" ring so to speak which is the ring I wear to the beach or the water park or anywhere else I am afraid of loosing my e-ring or it becoming damaged. The ring is stainless steel and cost $20 but I could have gotten it in sliver for $25 so you can get ring for pretty much next to nothing.
  • If cost is your concern, check eBay or Craigslist, I'm sure you can find something used.  If you just don't like the idea of a ring exchange, you can exchange another gift at that point, or just cut that part out.  You're not required to exchange anything.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Check Overstock.com for cheap rings. They have over 1,000 that cost under $20, and several other options that are under $100

I don't really know what you could do in place of a ring exchange ... I'd say just get cheap rings now and then buy something nicer for yourselves on an anniversary when you're in a better financial situation. Otherwise just "skip" doing any type of exchange.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Retread:  we have a large SDA population in town.  My three kids were all born in an SDA hospital, and I've worked with musicians from the SDA congregations both in our church and in theirs, and I never knew that about them.  Thanks for the lesson.  =)

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I am not looking for ways to get a ring I am lookking for an alternative. I can not afford to buy even something cheap right now I am just looking for an alternative.
  • Use rings you already have?
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_alternative-ring-exchange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:30528f00-08a8-43c4-9046-6b694774be1cPost:67c9675b-2309-49e5-aba6-056900c026ae">Re: ALternative for Ring Exchange</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not looking for ways to get a ring I am lookking for an alternative. I can not afford to buy even something cheap right now I am just looking for an alternative.
    Posted by kaherbster[/QUOTE]

What kind of wedding are you having?

If you're only going to a JOP with your parents or something, I think everybody would understand that you just couldn't afford rings. But if you're doing anything more than that, then just cut something out so you can afford something cheap, even if it's just getting a cheaper cake or skipping flowers or something. Or like PP suggested: use rings you already own.

And I stand by my prior suggestion: just skip the exchange altogether if you're not going to get something cheap.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you truly can't even afford even the cheapest of rings to exchange, then there really isn't much else you can afford to exchange.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • I agree. If you can't afford any of the real inexpensive rings suggested, how can you afford to exchange anything.

And if you can't afford inexpensive rings, why are you getting married? How will you afford to support yourselves?
  • If you can't afford the rings, I would just leave it out. Ceremonies are perfectly fine without the ring exchange.
  • Yeah, I'm with Meg.  If you can't spare $20 for some cheap rings, how on earth are you paying for everything else unless you're just going to a JOP?  Most weddings encounter extra expenses as the day gets closer, so if you can't come up with so small an amount, you're really setting yourself up for trouble. 

Either way, you can just skip that part of the ceremony.  I'm pretty sure the only thing that's legally required in a marriage ceremony for most states is the statement of intent (both of you affirming that you're entering the marriage unencumbered and of your own free will).
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I don't understand how you can apparently afford to buy an alternative item of some sort to exchange, but you can't buy two cheap rings...
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_alternative-ring-exchange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:30528f00-08a8-43c4-9046-6b694774be1cPost:67c9675b-2309-49e5-aba6-056900c026ae">Re: ALternative for Ring Exchange</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not looking for ways to get a ring I am lookking for an alternative. I can not afford to buy even something cheap right now I am just looking for an alternative.
    Posted by kaherbster[/QUOTE]

If you can't afford a cheap ring, how are you going to afford the alternative thing you want to exchange?  If you're limited to things that are already in your house, then just look around and see what you've got.  Otherwise, get rings for $10 on amazon or overstock.
    Married 10/2/10
  • You don't have to have a ring exchange or replace it with anything else, just skip it. And if you don't want to get rings now, that's fine and your choice. But like the others, I question how you can afford even the most simplest of ceremonies if you "can't afford" a $10 ring.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards