Indiana

Where to go Dress shopping?

Hey all,In a little over a week I'll be going dress shopping with my mom and FMIL.  Where in Indy (Preferably on the north side) do you suggest I go or absolutely not go.  I've heard some conflicting stories about some shops (Nancy's comes to mind), so any input you have would be amazing.Oh, also, I'm a bit of a bigger bride size 16ish and would love a place that is gracious and willing to work with me without making me feel bad about my body. If you know of a shop that has a big selection in larger sizes that would be great, too!TIA

Re: Where to go Dress shopping?

• Luvngrl247Luvngrl247 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only went to Davids Bridal in Castleton to try on dresses. Which I didn't feel I got very good service. My MOH and I was doing most of the sales womans job! Plus I wanted an ivory dress and she didnt have the one I wanted there in the store in ivory. So she said she would find a similar dress that I could try on to get an idea of the coloring--- she brought back a size 6-- I couldnt even get this dress over my hips!!!!!! So it didnt help the situation! But I found the dress I loved and searched online to see if I could find it cheaper. I ended up finding a girl on Bravobride.com that had the same dress, size and color that I needed and it still had the tags on it. Bought it for 1/2 the price. Good Luck and have fun shopping!
  • edited December 2011
    I personally didn't have a good experience at Bridal Superstore/Posie Patch in Castleton. When we went to look at bridesmaid dresses the dressing room was overcrowded and they hardly had any dresses in the designer I wanted. When we looked at gowns the consultants were rude and acted inconvenienced that we were even there. They wouldn't let me try on a dress because I didn't have an appointment, nevermind that there were no other customers on the bridal side at that time.
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unlike PP, I had a great experience at Bridal Superstore.  All the consultants were super friendly and helpful--especially my consultant, Melanie.  The alterations were a little high, but they did a great job.
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • edited December 2011
    my biggest tip is to go in the afternoon during the week if possible. all of the places i went to i got mixed reviews on, but the majority of negative comments i think were beacuse all the girls i talked to had gone in on a saturday, bridal salons most busy day.I went to David's Bridal, Posie Patch, and Brides by Demetrios in Castleton and Something Old Something new in Pendleton.I'm a street size 12, which means I'm a wedding gown 14-16. I went to one place and the woman very politely said, "honey, i don't think we're going to fit you into that dress." was i a little embarassed? sure, but just remember that they see people of all sizes all the time.other advice is to wear spanx and a good strapless bra. the dress you end up getting may not need either, but i went in knowing thay i would need to use some imagination to picture how the dress would fit in my size, but with the spanx i was less self conscious when they help you into the dresses at some shops, and then if the dresses didn't zip (which few did) then i was still covered and they had places to clip the dress onto. just go in with an "i am awesome" attitude and have a great time. GL!
  • purdueamandapurdueamanda member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to the Bridal Superstore up North and had a good experience.  The lady who helped me with my gown was very friendly and professional.  When we went to pick out our BM dresses it was a little more chaotic and unorganized but we still managed.
  • coltsgirlcoltsgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally had a great experience at Posie Patch as well. They are VERY big on having an appointment. In their minds, it is kind of like a respect thing (not to say the the PP with a bad experience had no respect, just puting you in their minds . . .) As long as you have an appointment, I worked with Melanie and highly recommend her, she was very attentive! I went back about 3 or 4 times to try on my dress with different jewelry and she was very accomodating and happy to help me each time . . .
  • KrissykinzKrissykinz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brides by Demetrios is a really good place to go.  My mom purchased her wedding dress there a couple of years ago and they were very nice. I purchased my gown from Bliss Boutique.  They are located in Brownsburg so it's a little bit of a drive from the north side.  But, I live on the north side and I thought it was totally worth the drive.  I have received amazing service from them so far.  I'm a larger size also, and I never once felt uncomfortable while trying on dresses.  They've been great to work with.
  • edited December 2011
    Don't get me wrong, Bridal Superstore had a wonderful selection and I'm not saying don't go there - I'm just saying I had a bad experience. I was shocked at how rude they were because when we came in we asked if we needed an appointment and the woman I spoke to said no. I guess the moral of the story is to make an appointment regardless!:-)
  • edited December 2011
    I bought mine at David's (but in Greenwood). I really liked working with them. Check out there website, they carry all sizes and have the dresses modeled in various sizes on the website too.
  • edited December 2011
    I made a trip to Indy last month and I think Demetrios is GREAT! they are very helpful there and they have beautiful dresses! On the other hand....I also went to Bridal Superstore by Posie Patch and had a horrible experience! The consultants were very rude and I couldnt even shop there because there was no organization to their dresses and its weird because you put these tags on the dresses you want to try on and then the consultant has to go and search where you put them....I also went to Nancy's Bridal...This place was actually not to bad. they were actually more helpful in here than the superstore and they were willing to do what you needed.Hope this helps! :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad to hear good things about the shop in Pendelton (I got it in my e-mail although I don't see it here.)  I'll be meeting my mom at her house in Anderson and was going to stop there first.  Thanks to you all for your input.  I definitely think I'll be stopping by Demitrios and Nancy's.  So excited to hopefully check this item off my list!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards