Texas-San Antonio

Honeymoon Help

Hey Ladies,Well I'm a Houston Knottie... And FI and I only have a few days to honeymoon and we are looking into San Antonio. What would be your recommendations of places to stay or things to do. Oh... and the time we have available is 12/28-1/2. So of course I'm aware that everywhere increases their prices for the holidays. Also, does anyone know of any big New Years Eve events?
Photobucket

Re: Honeymoon Help

• MBLoveMBLove member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think we usually have a big new year's event downtown by the tower (near hemisfair park). I highly recommend trying to get a hotel on the riverwalk if your budget allows. It's very romantic there during the winter and they light up all the trees with Christmas lights!!! On New Year's, downtown gets packed so if you already have a hotel you will be within walking distance of all the festivities!
    Photobucket image
  • edited December 2011
    Hey nanner, fancy seeing you over on this board. ;o) I haven't researched it a lot and haven't personally stayed at these hotels, but I think some of the recommended ones are: Hotel Contessa, Hotel Valencia, and Omni Mansion del Rio. You could also look into the Hilton and Westin on the Riverwalk. As far as things to do.... I think it's hard for me to look at SA as a destination since I live here, but if you're up for theme parks there's always Sea World and Six Flags. You can do the boat tour on the riverwalk, although I don't know if it's worth the price. I haven't actually been to most of these (I know, I'm a bad San Antonian, if that's a word), but you could visit the Witte or McNay Museums, Sunken Gardens, Zoo, or Missions. The other thing you could consider if you don't mind driving more is staying at the Riverwalk for just half of your honeymoon and then maybe driving up to the Fredericksburg area and staying at a Bed & Breakfast and maybe doing Enchanted Rock and some wineries. Just a thought. Good luck finding something!
  • edited December 2011
    I second that if you have the money, try to stay somewhere on the riverwalk.  It is centrally located with tons of nice hotels.  We stayed at Hotel Contessa on our wedding night and I highly recommend.  It is in a slightly less populated area which is nice.  The hotel is one of the newest on the Riverwalk.  The rooms are huge because they are all suites.  It is definetly like being in a home away from home and not just a hotel room.For my hubby's bachelor party, he stayed at the Drury Plaza Riverwalk.  He said it was a very nice hotel as well and it's actually pretty affordable.  It's rated #1 on Trip Advisor.There are New Years Eve festivities at Hemisfair Park downtown with food, bands, and a Tower countdown.  If the weather holds up, it is a good time but be prepared for crowds especially around the main stage.  I believe the themeparks will be closed around that time but I'm not sure.  If you are renting a car, you can also tour the Spanish missions, including the Alamo.  If you like museums, there is the Witte Museum which sometimes has special exhibits.  For art, there is the McNay and the San Antonio Museum of Art.  There are tons of awesome restaurants so I don't think you will have a problem with food.  And if you get bored, you can take a day trip to the outlying towns like Fredericksburg, Boerne, or Kerrville.  Fredericksburg is a popular day trip because of it's proximity to Enchanted Rock, wineries, and just a bunch of small-town quircky shops.Good luck with your planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Nanner!!  Nice to see you on the SA board!  I live in Houston too...but grew up in SA and pretty much second what everyone else has says.  FI and I are staying at Omni Mansion del Rio for our wedding night...and it's truly a great hotel!  As long as you're on the Riverwalk you'll have plenty to do.  The Christmas lights will be aglowin' and fireworks ashootin'...heheh.  Sorry I don't have much more to add.  Just eat lots of Mexican food!
  • novio2010novio2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the San Antonio board!  I totally agree with all the posts.  I also recommend the Hilton Hill Country Resort and Spa.  Not sure about prices but I've been told it is absolutely beautiful.  It is a distance from DT but a short distance to Six Flags, Sea World and of course La Cantera Mall.
  • edited December 2011
    We picked the Omni La Mansion Del Rio. It looks amazing. And they've got some great holiday specials going on.Now time to make plans for NYE!Thanks for all the help
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards