Delaware

Locations for pictures

I need some help!

I'm looking for locations to do pictures outside.  Both the ceremony and reception will be on Concord Pike in North Wilmington, so we don't want to stray too far from that area.

We're having a Catholic ceremony with mass at 2pm.  That should be over shortly after 3 (estimating).  We'll take some pictures at the church and then head outside somewhere for more shots.  Meanwhile, they'll be a cocktail hour beginning at 3:30pm at our reception hall.  We plan on being at the hall ourselves by 4:30pm.  So that gives us about 1hour to go somewhere and take pictures.

The only place we checked out so far was Rockford Park/Tower.  We stopped by there on what would be our wedding weekend in 2009, to see what the park looked like.  Unfortunately, there was a charity 5k being held there at the time.  There's no way of knowing in advance what is scheduled to take place there, so we'd rather not compete with people everywhere.

So what are your suggestions of parks or locations in the North Wilmington area for an outdoor photo shoot?  I'm not from Wilmington, so I really don't know where to begin and well, FI's not a lot of help in this area Smile

Re: Locations for pictures

• JennLonginoJennLongino member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not far down the street from Rockford Park is Brandywine Park/Zoo area. There is definately some picturesque places there. I used to go there all the time to feed the ducks :)

• edited December 2011
    Valley Garden Park is a really popular one.  It's up in Centerville.

Another one is Gibraltar on 52, right outside the city of Wilmington towards Greenville.  I would call them, as I believe you have to give a "donation", but I am not sure how much it is.  It is gorgeous in there tho; reminds me of Secret Garden.

You could also contact Wintethur and see if they will let you photograph there; it's gorgeous, like Secret Garden, too.

I also suggest that you talk to your Photographer.  They are going to know the best locations around for the best shots; that's what we did.
  • edited December 2011
    It's not outdoors, but you should go to the Charcoal Pit and take pictures at the counter drinking milkshakes :)  Get permission first, obviously, but that would be adorable.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Keep the suggestions coming.

I believe it was Winthethur that we also contacted.  They do not allow photographs there, as it interupts with the weddings that are paying to be there.  Also, our photographer is from Maryland and she's not really all the familiar with North Wilmington.

I'll check out the others, thanks!

• edited December 2011
    You might also post this on the Philly board, as some of the girls may have ideas.

Another thing you might do, though it would take extra time, is follow some of the popular photogs' blogs, and see where they do pics in the DE area.  It may give you some ideas that you hadn't thought of!  If you post on the Philly board and ask which photogs have blogs, you should get a decent response; I can't remember them off the top of my head, as I don't follow them consistently.
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the Valley Garden Park suggestion!  I think we're going to check this one out.  I saw lots of pictures of the area on local photogs blogs (we're thinking the same!) and it looks really pretty.  And it's in a perfect location for us!  Our ceremony is at St Mary Magdalen (Sharpley Rd. & 202).  We can get to the park in less than 15 minutes without ever having to drive onto 202.  Even better, the reception is at Talleyville Fire Co. (Mt Lebanon Rd & 202 essentially) so we could come back, again, without having to drive on 202!  What a time saver that would be.

I think when we come up to meet with the priest in August we're going to go check it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards