South Asian Weddings
Options

edison versus jackson heights

Hi girls,

So my reception outfit got botched and I need a new one quickly (wedding end of may). I can go this weekend up to NY/NJ but wanted to know where I should spend my time.  Is it worth going to Jackson heights or should I just go to Edison?

I went to Edison when my brother was getting married, but I wasn't paying attention for myself.  I have been to Khajana, Sheetal and Khoobsurut.  I've read alot about traditions and OM the origin. 

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated! 

Thanks so much!

Re: edison versus jackson heights

• Options
    vindaloovindaloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to both Jackson Heights and Edison, and I had a much better experience in Edison.  Jackson Heights has fewer stores, I found that the salespeople were unfriendly and pushy, the prices were pretty out of control, they had less selection, and I found a lot of the outfits to be a bit garish. 
    Most of the stores in Edison were great, but I ended up buying both my outfits at Om the Origin.  There was less of a "hard-sell" feeling in NJ, and the salespeople were friendly and helpful.  I really liked the ladies at the store at the end of the little strip mall...I can't remember the name of the place, but it was the very last store.  I'd be surprised if you couldn't find anything in Edison.  Let us know where you end up going, and good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    chaudhryschaudhrys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually found something perfect at Khubsoorat in Edison, and she can get it done in my time frame. Nice to know that i will have something I love!
  • Options
    gryffindorgryffindor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    chaudhrys, I'm glad you found something!  Did Rachel help you at Khubhsoorat?  She was so helpful when my mom and I went there.  I didn't end up getting my outfits there but I did buy some of their jewelry, it's so different compared to what the other Indian vendors in Edison offer.

I just want to reference vindaloo's post - The store at the end of the plaza with Om the Origin you are referring to is Traditions.  It's where I got my dresses and I love giving them some props on here.  They're not pushy either and will let you walk right up to the case where they hang the dresses and browse them yourself.  My reception lehenga just came in this week and it turned out great.  We went back to the store again today to look for saris for a bridal shower and came across some decent options.

And I pick Edison over Jackson Heights any day.  Parking is a nightmare in Jackson Heights and the whole block just feels claustrophobic.
  • Options
    vindaloovindaloo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yup--it was Traditions.  They were super-nice.  It's just that they were able to customize a bit more at Om the Origin--I ended up choosing bits from this and that and making a frankenstein outfit that they ordered from India.  I'm going to go see it this weekend...wish me luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    gryffindorgryffindor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck with your dress!  Sooooo exciting!!!!  I did just the opposite - I came so close to picking a dress at Om the Origin but ultimately went with a super blingy dress at Traditions instead.  They had also done my engagement outfit a few months earlier.  The thing I liked about both stores is that they never hesitated to show me their dresses and they let me try outfits over several days without being pushy (I went back several times to both places before making my final decision).  I would trust Om the Origin which so many girls have said on here.  The owner's brother owns Silver Tulip (next to Traditions) and they gave us awesome service when we ordered my fiance's sherwani and it didn't come back as we had anticipated.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Geetangali and Rachel both helped me.  The place got a bit swamped, so they kind of tag teamed it, but i never felt neglected and found them to both be very helpful!  I can't wait to see the final product! : )

My wedding invitations just came in and I'm so excited to pick them up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards