Not Engaged Yet

HPV

A few of us were chatting about HPV & I was surprised at how many of us actually have it.  So I wanted to start a poll to see how common it really is! 

Re: HPV

• Yep.  Mine went away pretty quickly on it's own though.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • HPV is wicked common. I haven't been tested for a few years. My last test was clean though.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I think you all pretty much know my story but for anyone that is new... 

I had an abnormal pap for the first time in 2010 & tested positive for HPV.  I had a colposcopy & biopsy.  The biopsy came back as stage 1.  Stage 1 isn't too serious & generally goes away on its own so we left it. 

In 2011, my pap came back abnormal again.  I had another colposcopy & biopsy.  The cells had progressed to stage 2 which is considered pre-cancerous.  I had a cryosurgery to freeze the cells off of my cervix & go back in September for another pap & colposcopy. 

Hopefully I will have a healthy cervix in September!

• Nope. I had an abnormal pap a few years ago but was negative for HPV...the only thing that kept me from losing my shiit.
    5/27/12
  • No I've never had it.

Anniversary

• Nope. I've never had an abnormal pap smear and I have taken the Gardisil vaccination.

• I didn't vote because I just don't know.  I had an abnormal pap waaaaaay back in 1996 (remember, I'm OLD people!!)  Similar to RDR, I had to have a colposcopy/biopsy.  It came back ok and then for a while I had to get paps every 6 months.  That was a joy.  After a few of those came back ok I went back to annual paps and every one of them since has been normal.  A year or two ago I asked my OB/GYN about Gardisil and getting testing for HPV.  She said because of my age and history (with the abnormal pap), that I already probably already had HPV back then and shed the virus.  She said as long as I continued to have normal paps that I didn't need to be tested.  So far so good. 
    CN: I probably had it 16 years ago but shed it. 
  • Nope never had it and also got the gardasil vaccine

• I have not, but I was also not allowed to have the vaccination when I asked for it. I was at the upper age limit when it was released and because I was not a virgin, the doctor said I could not have it. She said I'd probably already been exposed and made me feel like a slut (I was 26 and had three partners ever). Needless to say, I switched doctors, but Kaiser only covered it for pre-teen and teenage girls.
  • I had/have it. I've had a colposcopy twice and LEEP once.

I was also too old for Gardisil - my insurance only paid for it before 25, and I would have turned 26 after the first shot.

*******************************************************************************************

• Never had it.
  • To my knowledge, I've never had it/don't have it. I did have an abnormal PAP ummm...2 years ago? I'm not really sure, but I didn't have HPV, and the 6 month recheck came back fine. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • edited April 2012
    Same as Bri.. 2 colposcopies, 1 LEEP. My doctor said I could do the vaccines to protect against other strains I don't have but I said I planned on staying with the same partner and wasn't really interested.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hpv?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7de130e8-f367-4160-8929-9116d77e9fbbPost:c589bd52-09e8-4c31-b128-e1d74cb3846d">Re: HPV</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was also too old for Gardisil - my insurance only paid for it before 25, and I would have turned 26 after the first shot.
    Posted by BriSox81[/QUOTE]
    My insurance paid as long as I received the first shot before I turned 27. I've received two of the three and will have the last like a month after I turn 27.

• No, I've never had it, nor have I ever had an abnormal Pap.

But since we're on the topic.... If you stay with the same partner, is the need still high for you to get the shot? How long can the virus lay dormant in your system? It has been over 5 years since FI and I have had sex with anyone other than each other, and I'd heard that you can be infected and not even know it... but if you've been tested would it show up even if it was dormant? (Sorry, I am not very health-savvy)

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:HPV:[QUOTE]No, I've never had it, nor have I ever had an abnormal Pap. But since we're on the topic.... If you stay with the same partner, is the need still high for you to get the shot? How long can the virus lay dormant in your system? It has been over 5 years since FI and I have had sex with anyone other than each other, and I'd heard that you can be infected and not even know it... but if you've been tested would it show up even if it was dormant? Sorry, I am not very healthsavvy Posted by LilTexasGal[/QUOTE]

I have been with FI for 5 years and didn't have an abnormal pap until 2 years ago.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hpv?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:7de130e8-f367-4160-8929-9116d77e9fbbPost:8d27d803-8875-4135-95f8-fbe7014747df">Re: HPV</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, I've never had it, nor have I ever had an abnormal Pap. But since we're on the topic.... If you stay with the same partner, is the need still high for you to get the shot? How long can the virus lay dormant in your system? It has been over 5 years since FI and I have had sex with anyone other than each other, and I'd heard that you can be infected and not even know it... but if you've been tested would it show up even if it was dormant? (Sorry, I am not very health-savvy)
    Posted by LilTexasGal[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that if you did get it from someone else it could stay dormant and come out at any time so getting the vaccine isn't going to prevent that since it's already in your system. Getting the vaccine would prevent a new strain that you haven't come in contact with yet- so if you stayed with the same person and don't get the vaccine it's fine.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hpv?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7de130e8-f367-4160-8929-9116d77e9fbbPost:8d27d803-8875-4135-95f8-fbe7014747df">Re: HPV</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, I've never had it, nor have I ever had an abnormal Pap. But since we're on the topic.... If you stay with the same partner, is the need still high for you to get the shot? How long can the virus lay dormant in your system? It has been over 5 years since FI and I have had sex with anyone other than each other, and I'd heard that you can be infected and not even know it... but if you've been tested would it show up even if it was dormant? (Sorry, I am not very health-savvy)
    Posted by LilTexasGal[/QUOTE]

When I asked a sex-ed nurse this question she said that there's no time limit on how long the virus can stay dormant. She said that the longest she had personally seen was the virus staying dormant for roughly 15 years.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Same as some other ladies. I've had 2 colposcopies, 1 LEEP. My Dr also told me due to my "sexual history" and my age when the vaccine came out she didn't see the point in giving me the vaccine. It would have been free though. Cuz I iz Canadian.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards