Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Gifts for the groom? Our parents?

Does anyone know what the proper etiquette is for gifts?  I am not sure what to get my parents or his parents. Is it standard to definitely get them a gift for the wedding?  What about the groom?  Should I get him something?   This is the one thing I can't really ask my parents about!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket

Re: Gifts for the groom? Our parents?

• Options
    edited July 2010
    It is traditional to get the parents and groom a gift. Some people give the parents albums, some give gift cards, trinkets, send them on trips, etc I mean, its basically what you can squeeze into the budget. I plan on gettin my mom and step dad a gift card to their favorite restaurant (which to pay for both will have to be about $125-150) and an album. Don't know about my dad and no clue what FIs parents are getting besides an album. I am getting FI a little black box with boudior pix of me. I think he'll love it and be surprised because I am super shy when it comes to taking off my clothes in front of people. Have fun with it and be creative.
    MAY 2011 SIGGY CHALLENGE : YOU & MOH (I was also her MOH)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    **Bio**
  • Options
    As a MOB and a MOG, maybe I'm in the minority but, I do NOT want my kids spending money on gifts for us. I would rather they spend it on themselves, either for the wedding, the honeymoon, or their home.
  • Options
    It is traditional to buy gifts for your parents as well as the WP as a thank you for their love and support. We spent about $50-75/parent. We bought like it was their birthday, and our photography package came with 2 parent albums so they were given those as well.

My groom and I did not exchange traditional gifts as a way of saving money, since we paid for most of our wedding/honeymoon. We exchanged cards the morning of the wedding.
  • Options
    It's traditional to get the parents a gift as a thank you for their support of you throughout the years, even if they're not paying for or hosting the wedding. You don't have to though, but it's a nice token and gesture of your appreciation.

As for the gift for your groom, I think it's up to you guys. We didn't do day-of gifts, per se, but we used the money we could have spent on gifts on a new puppy. Some couples decide that the wedding is gift enough, other couples are traditional and exchange gifts and cards. I think you could talk to your fiance about it and see what he thinks. You could decide to do gifts and still surprise him with the gift itself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gifts-groom-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f9db20be-a33c-43ea-bdc5-4d32b3d03f05Post:0832bd84-8e04-48c7-a4b8-8c75c76d4758">Re: Gifts for the groom? Our parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a MOB and a MOG, maybe I'm in the minority but, I do NOT want my kids spending money on gifts for us. I would rather they spend it on themselves, either for the wedding, the honeymoon, or their home.
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what my mom said when I mentioned something about gifts for the parents.  She is adament that she doesn't want anything and that "seeing my baby girl happy on her wedding day is gift enough."
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I think my parents, my mom in particular, will definitely expect something.  The tricky part is I really don't think my FI's parents will at all!  Maybe I will talk to him and make what we get them more of his decision.  I know we are doing parent albums for each of them regardless.  I also know what I want to get my mom - but dads are just so stinkin tricky!

As for my fiance, I will get him something little but probably won't discuss.  I feel like he wouldn't think of it on his own, so I don't want to be telling him to spend money on me.  Plus, if he does think of it - I will be pleasantly surprised!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards