Iowa-Quad Cities

Odd request-- public outdoor settling for an intimate short ceremony?

Hi girls, I have the fiance, I have the officiant, I have two timeframes that might work, now all I need is the space.  We are being encouraged by both sides of the family to elope (we already have a kid, it's my second wedding, and a traditional wedding seems like a major headache) but the courthouse just doesn't have any appeal to me.  I think it'd be romantic and sweet to get our son and an officiant and head to a pretty park or public garden or something to wed in a brief but special ceremony!  Am I crazy?  Possibly. 

I could really use for suggestions for local spots that might be perfect for this idea!  I'm not from around here or we'd be hitched already.  :)

Also a suggestion for a fancy dinner or lunch afterward would be great!

Re: Odd request-- public outdoor settling for an intimate short ceremony?

• Have you checked out Duck Creek Park (they have a really pretty Gazebo for outdoor ceremonies) or Vanderveer Park (they have a lot of really pretty options for outdoor ceremonies as well)? They are both in Davenport. Otherwise a lot of local parks let you do weddings there you just may need to get a special permit from the city depening on your event.

As far as a fancy dinner or lunch afterwards. It kind of depends on what type of food you are thinking but you could always do something like Johnny's Steakhouse or Bass Street Chophouse.

Good luck!
  • Check out the deck by the bike path in Hampton in front of the Hampton Heritage Center.  It is a public spot and would be great for an outdoor wedding.  Plus, it would be free!  The deck is brand new and jets out onto the river a bit.  Plus you wouldn't hear the traffic of a busy street.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-quad-cities_odd-request-public-outdoor-settling-for-an-intimate-short-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:93Discussion:57c192a8-7ba3-40b0-8bfa-b665915a0dc5Post:0d460463-1b33-47d4-980e-165a4a32fabd">Odd request-- public outdoor settling for an intimate short ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi girls, I have the fiance, I have the officiant, I have two timeframes that might work, now all I need is the space.  We are being encouraged by both sides of the family to elope (we already have a kid, it's my second wedding, and a traditional wedding seems like a major headache) but the courthouse just doesn't have any appeal to me.  I think it'd be romantic and sweet to get our son and an officiant and head to a pretty park or public garden or something to wed in a brief but special ceremony!  Am I crazy?  Possibly.  I could really use for suggestions for local spots that might be perfect for this idea!  I'm not from around here or we'd be hitched already.  :) Also a suggestion for a fancy dinner or lunch afterward would be great!
    Posted by lhn85[/QUOTE]
  • Schweibert park in rock island is my favorite outdoor space. Would be neat in front of the spray park if it was nice enough! Otherwise riverfront would be beautiful too. Could head to Le Figaro for din after. Another area that would be neat would be lookout point in davenport if ts truly just the 3 of you it's not big or credit island makes a nice backdrop maybe on the new pedestrian bridge?! I wouldn't think you'd need a permit if you aren't setting up chairs/decor/etc.
  • My FI and I are getting married at the Duck Creek Gazebo in Davenport and having a dinner at Johnny's steakhouse.  We are having close friends and family so a pretty small wedding.

• Try the golf course in LeClaire, olathea, beautiful huge oak tree makes a wonderful backdrop!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards