Wedding Etiquette Forum

anybody a runner??

I would LOVE to start running.  I've never been the "go for a run" type, but i want to and hear it is possible!  I have fairly new running shoes and just need to get motivated.  any tips?  ways to start?
It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: anybody a runner??

• I'm not a runner but I think about it lol.  Try the couch to 5 k program.  Google it!  I've heard great things.
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Yup.  Have you been fitted for the shoes at a local running store?  If not, return the ones you have and go get fitted immediately.  (Not at a chain, an independently owned store where they'll watch you walk/run and pick the correct shoe for your gait.)  Incorrect shoes can cause injury and pain and generally suck.

I would also google the Couch to 5K program and use that.  It's a really great way to ease into it without getting overwhelmed--most new runners start out too fast too soon, get discouraged and quit.  Don't do that.

As far as motivation...I just kind of do it.  It's become part of my routine.  I run races, which I register for really far in advance, which helps.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I would check out some tips on runnersworld.com for beginning runners.  Also, stretch a LOT.  And ditto what Brie said about getting proper shoes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I run.  I'm not as intense as Brie, although I do agree with her on the shoes thing.  It makes a huge difference.

My motivation is the cellulite on my thighs.

Photobucket
  • Great idea on the shoes...that might be motivation enough. 
  • Oh, I'm glad Brie was still around to answer.  She rocks - her blog is very inspirational.  When I first started running, I concentrated on time rather than distance.  Try running for 8 minutes, say, and then increase to 10 after a few runs.  Go in small increments until you can run for, say, 30 minutes at a time.  For me, that would be 3 miles (most people are faster, though), and a decent workout. 
    FWIW, I slowly worked up to a half marathon last year and I'm going to run another this summer.  If I can do it, truly ANYONE can do it.  Really - anyone.  My motivation is my fat ass, but I also love being able to say that I put in x number of miles - I'm kind of braggy about it. Wink
  • I second the PPs.  Also think about finding a running partner.  I have a Thursday running partner and a long distance running partner.  I look forward to the time together and have learned to love running for its own sake and not just to keep my thighs thinner.  Smile

• I think I realized I need to start doing SOMETHING after i saw my HM pictures....funny how you try to loose weight for the wedding and it doesnt work.  I want to do SOMETHING and don't have the mula for the gym!

• Another good reason running is awesome - except for shoes, it's just about free.   You can run in anything, really, although it is fun & inspirational to go get some cool gear once in a while.  And you can do it anywhere - no need to drive to a gym.  And, changing into your running clothes, going for your run, quck shower & redressed can all be done within an hour (until you work up to those long runs, anyway).  It's great!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anybody-runner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:082dcaba-0ff6-497f-a779-74541d804f79Post:d8ef771a-4c6b-4ea5-b4cf-0ff7137478ad">Re: anybody a runner??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I'm glad Brie was still around to answer.  She rocks - her blog is very inspirational.  <strong>When I first started running, I concentrated on time rather than distance.  </strong>Try running for 8 minutes, say, and then increase to 10 after a few runs.  Go in small increments until you can run for, say, 30 minutes at a time.  For me, that would be 3 miles (most people are faster, though), and a decent workout.  FWIW, I slowly worked up to a half marathon last year and I'm going to run another this summer.  If I can do it, truly ANYONE can do it.  Really - anyone.  My motivation is my fat ass, but I also love being able to say that I put in x number of miles - I'm kind of braggy about it. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

Yup!  I agree with that for sure.  Once you can comfortably run 10 minutes straight, then maybe start concentrating on speed. 

Shoes are important.  But, my biggest issue in running has been breathing and side cramps.  If you breathe properly, hydrate and eat the right things before a run, my running coach claims you can get through any run.  I don't know if I believe that yet. 

Every runner will have their own "issues".  For Brie, she had shoe and foot problems.  Me, not so much. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • get fitted for shoes.

find out if they have running clinics in your area.. running with a group really helps.

make sure you have proper underwear and socks. this is soooo important. there is nothing worse than blisters and wedgies when you are trying to make your body do something it doesn't want to. lol

here is the running program that i did.. i can run full out for over an hour now no problem, and when i started couldn't run for 3 minutes.

http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/sunrun/pdf/learntorun10k%20program.pdf

for me running is my only time in the day all about me. i don't need to think about what to make for dinner, or that the laundry needs folding, or what i have looming on my desk tomorrow.  i think about my music in my ears and my feet hitting the gravel and thats about it. it's AMAZING.
  • I  wanted to add that when you first start off, it's recommended to run at conversational pace (meaning a pace where you can hold a decent conversation) it means you are breathing effectively.

Sometimes a pace watch is helpful if you are on trails, it motivates you to keep your time.

If you are running for longer than 45 minutes- hydration and replenishing your electrolyte stores are crucial.  The first 15 minutes after a long workout is when glycogen needs to be replenished so try  to get a healthy starch in.

And lastly, never underestimate the power of the human body and mind.  I started running 2 years ago and could barely get a mile in and now, I just did my 3rd half this weekend and am onto the NYC Full this November!
  • oooo a full!! so exciting congrats you must be PUMPED!
  • I definitely am! My hubby and I are reading this book "Run Less, Run Faster".  Has a good 16 week training with cross-training programs.  We definitely find ourselves running faster when paired with yoga and swimming.

I also agree with the dry socks to avoid blisters and even body glide for chafing!

I had always said, "I'm going to start running."  It finally took signing up for a 5k and paying money to get myself in gear!

I also started doing triathlons last year, and for me personally, running to be healthy isn't enough, I love competing!!!! Even though I'm not very good or ever come close to placing, just the race atmosphere itself is enough motivation.  I just did a half mary on April 18th and am now planning a full in November, I just find it addicting to see how far you can push your body.  Everyone is different though!  Just my 2 cents!! :)
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • I was going to ask if I sign up for a 5k and pay for it, it would be motivation to get in shape for it...but I didn't want to be flamed for such a question. 
  • I completely agree with signing up for a 5K.  One of my friends signed up for a half marathon last year as her inspiration to start running.  She'd never been a runner a day in her life.  She gave herself about 6 months, started walking 1 min/running 1 min, then it gets to the point where you are running 10 min/walking 1 min. or something like that.

My motivation to run is my weight.  I've been told I can no longer run and it upsets me (foot and knee issues).  I agree to get good shoes and keep trying to build up the length of time you can run.  Good luck!
  • Ditto what everyone said about shoes - it's really important to get the right pair for your foot. 

I also have to register for races to keep myself motivated.  I'm doing a 10 mile race at the end of the month, a half marathon in June and a full marathon in October.  I started running in 2006 and thought I'd die before I ever made it a whole mile!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers 132image invited, 55image ready to party, 48image missing out, 29 still deciding RSVP date: October 1
  • Anyone have suggestions on breathing?  I know I'm not breathing correctly and that is what prevents me from giving running a go. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Don't run.  That's a recommendation.

Instead try to do a run/walk.  It helps because you use different muscles when you walk than what you run.  It helps with fatigue.  I used it for my marathon last year and was really happy with my time for my first full. 

The best thing is that you will never be running more than 120 seconds in a row (if you are targeting a 12 minute mile).  Read more here:  http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

You can build up to running the full 5k or 10k with no walking eventually.

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• I want to start running again so I'm writing down all of these things :)

My biggest suggestion, to you and to myself, is not to over do it the first time out. I'm pretty consistent with my "get back to running routine". Throw on my old running shoes (8 years old and went through a year of cross country meets/practice), then force my body to run really hard for a mile, blow out my knee, stop running for another year."

This time I'm going to get new shoes and force myself to do the Couch to 5k, or at least copy their walk/run routines.
  • One more tip:

Good tunes!! Some people are against running with an ipod because they feel it takes away from their surroundings, but I can't help it!   I love knowing I have good music or new music on it that I only listen to when I'm running so it's like a reward.  Sounds dumb I know, but I tend to daydream when running, think less about the pace, and actually enjoy myself.  Of course there are days when I'm trying to reach a certain time, but you need to make it fun!!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Don't run with an iPod on the street.  You need to hear traffic. 

I wear an iPod when I run on the beach or on the treadmill so I think it's a great idea, but again...not on the street.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• If I go anywhere with unpredictable surroundings (walking/running along a street) I wear an ipod but only put in the right earbud. I get my music but still can hear everything around me.
  • Here's what I use to help with the going too fast at the beginning, then burning out half-way through the run:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/microsite/article/0,8029,s6-238-267--7633-0,00.html#

As far as breathing correctly, I make a conscious effort to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth.  That seems to help.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers 132image invited, 55image ready to party, 48image missing out, 29 still deciding RSVP date: October 1
  • I know this is an older post but I wanted to chime in anyway :)

I used to be a competitive swimmer and even in my very best "swimming shape" I could not run. I couldn't go for more than two minutes, hated every second of it and swore it was the most unpleasant thing a person could choose do and I'd never be a runner!

Well, I recently moved to a gorgeous area on a big blue river and found that to start out, I actually enjoyed myself when I went out on a nice sunny, perfect happy day and took the most scenic route.

I also started with the couch to 5k program and made an mp3 to match the intervals for the first week's workout. Kid Rock's "Summertime" is almost exactly 5 minutes so I'd use that for my 5min warm-up walk and it put me in a really good mood. Then I alternated slips of fast and slow songs for the run/walk intervals so I never had to look at a watch.

Another thing that made me love it was I took my dogs out. It felt good knowing that I was doing something healthy for them and they had a lot of fun too.

I echo the suggestion to get fitted for shoes. Someone told me that if you're not going to do that to buy Asic's. So I did. And I still ended up with a weird foot strain. I couldn't run for three weeks and the doc said I'm no longer allowed to run with the dogs since they put me off balance.

So: pick a beautiful sunny day when you're already in a good mood, pick some motivational tunes that match the pace you want to go and don't get down on yourself. Go do as much as you can do and be proud!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards