Mississippi

Beach reception locations?

I am getting married in Ocean Springs on November 27 and I am looking for a beach venue for our reception (not outdoors bc it's Nov).  I've looked into the OS Yacht Club and Biloxi Yacht club.  Does anyone else have any other suggestions?  I'd like to keep it between OS and Biloxi so my guests do not have to travel very far from our wedding site. 

Re: Beach reception locations?

• kellymaryannekellymaryanne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I need the same question answered. I hope someone gives you some great ideas! I'm moving to biloxi in two months. If I find anything, I'll let you know!
  • edited December 2011
    I ended up going with the Biloxi Yacht Club.  It was the best priced beach venue by a long shot.   I get 4 hours for only $700.  They also do all of the catering and drinks which is a great relief for me.  Good luck to you in your search!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello awineki & kellymaryanne,

Not trying to be a downer, but be prepared for challenges ahead of you!

I just had mine in Biloxi/Gulfport area in March and planned it from Seattle. It was not easy, but keep a positive thought. People in Biloxi/Gulfport (at least the ones that I have dealt with) seems to not be quick on their feet...oh, I could tell you all about our experiences. We fired our venue and the event planner and our minister cancelled 3 days before our actual day. In the end, we were really happy with where and the people we dealt with.
    1) DO NOT USE GULFPORT YACHT CLUB. The event planner, Susan Everhart, was horrible!!! I can't stress this enough. Her title should be changed to "Disaster Event Planner". We had to fire them altogether, it was that bad.

For small reception party, I HIGHLY recommend
    The Chimneys in Gulfport. Its where we eventually had our ceremony and reception, and the staff and owners were awesome! Dix and Peter (owners), Sophie (event coordinator), and the staff really provided southern hospitality. This place also have some good history. Here is their website: www.chimneysrestaurant.com/">www.chimneysrestaurant.com/

2) Our photographer,
    Jen, from Uniquely Focused Photography was also awesome. She was easy to deal with and pleasant to have. You can view her work at http://uniquelyfocusedphotography.zenfolio.com/. We haven't received our entire photos yet, but so far, the ones she's provided are looking really good. 

3) Our DJ,
    Aaron, with Big Noise Production, was also fantastic.

4) Our videographer,
    Tim McAskill, is also good. We haven't received our final dvds, but from the sample videos he's provided of our wedding is really good so far.

5) Our minister,
    Jerry Schwehm, was also good to deal with. He came through after we had our original one cancel out...3 days before the big day! Whatever you do, DO NOT USE SHANNON FIGUEROA.   

6) Oh yeah, the cake. Go to Walmart Supercenter in Pass Christian. Linda was really great to deal with, and their cake, believe it or not, is very tasty!!! They are also A LOT CHEAPER than regular bakeries. DO NOT USE cake maker/decorator Jacque or Lori.
    Tell them The Truelove's recommend them to you Smile

Good luck, and congrats! Feel free to message me, and we can chat. I know the feeling of planning a wedding. Take care.
  • bean2727bean2727 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

About your cake what kind of options did wal mart offer I have been  loking at cakes for a while and they are very costly. Ilive in Gulfport , Ms having a Beach Wedding in May 2011.

• cheri0690cheri0690 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan on getting married September 24th 2011 in south MS. I really want somthing on the beach. I grew up in Pascagoula but I live in TN now its really hard to plan from here. I am expecting around 65 people so if you know of anything suitable for a ceremony or a reception please let me know?

And also I have looked at the cakes at walmart and they are very nice and tasty. They have alot of options as far as the cake itself goes and also they can set it with the layers stacked or even have each layer on stagered colomns for a cascade look. And they are very inexpensive a 10" 8"  6" is only $138.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards