November 2012 Weddings

Flowers???

What is everybody thinking for flowers?  November is such a strange month for whats in season. 

Just curious.  I really love full, puffy bouquets, ie: roses, dahlias, etc.  The florist told me when I booked her initially dahlias are in season from July-Sept so she suggested spider mums.  They are nice but I am not sold.  Callas are $15 a stem so I ruled those out.  We are doing white/ivory flowers.  So i am thinking roses, some sort of "fluffy" flower in palce of dahlias, white hydrangea for filler (but I know it wilts easily)
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
My BFP Chart
|| Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013

Re: Flowers???

• We are having a mix of calla's and some orchids and feathers. Our florist is awesome, we are trusting her to use what she thinks will be best!
  • edited August 2012
    We are looking at using some hygrangea, green spider mums, yellow billy balls, delphinium, and ranuncula. I gave my florist permission to use whatever she wants, so who knows what'll actually be in there. My favorite flowers are peonies, so of course, I won't get to use those. She did talk about english roses and said they look a lot like them, so that could be one to look at because they're very full and feminine. 
    imageNovember Board Siggy - The Venue!
    Photobucket
    The Great Hall at Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I met with a florist on Friday. Our centerpieces are included with the package we got with the venue and we're getting low, colorful mixed arrangements. I like the flowers in my sig so hope to have some like it mixed in, in fuschia and burnt orange colors.
    We have to pay separately for bouquets, corsages, bouts, and any other arrangements for the venue and church. I was somewhat prepared for sticker shock, but the prices were even higher than I thought they would be. The highest prices were for 2 floral arrangements to have at the front of the church. If we wanted we could substitute with 2 large plants for about half the price.  I'm planning to check with another one of the venue's preferred vendors to compare pricing. Was anyone else surprised with pricing?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah flowers are expensive no matter which way you look at it. 

The english roses are gorgeous, very much like peonies, I may ask my florist about those also
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • I'm using white roses and dark blue delphinium with ivy in my bouquet.  BMs will have hydrangea, which does seem a little weird for the fall, but my color is blue and they are a good value.  Groom's bout will be a white rose, all other bouts will be light blue delphinium.  Our alter flowers will be "as available," in whites and blues, to reduce costs.  I don't really care about the flowers, but it was important to both mothers, and FI's mother offered to pay.
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • We bought artificial calla lilies from Save On Crafts.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are not having any flowers. It was one of those things where the enjoyment I got out of it wouldn't come anywhere near the cost. I am making origami bouquets instead.
  • We're DIYing the flowers and I'll be using white roses and carnations mainly. My bouquet will be light pink roses though. I like clean looks so I don't want to mix too many flowers...might use a little baby's breath for filler but we're sticking with mostly white with a little bit of light pink mixed in.
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • We agree using garden roses since they look so much like peonies but are half the price. There will also be ranoculous, freesia, hydreangea and football mums in the bouquets. We're doing lanterns for center pieces with rose petals inside them and sprinkled around the table. Flowers are expensive and I just wasn't willing to spend so much money on the centerpieces.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
    imageVilla
  • My bouquet and FI's bout will be black magic roses...I may add some dahlias depending on the price.  The corsages and bouts will be a cream rose.  We are using silk flowers for arrangements, which are provided by our venue.  So glad that we have that as an option, because we cannot afford to outfit an entire venue with real flowers!
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_flowers-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:ed3c4c86-db67-48ac-ad8f-f71d96d60682Post:76f1e65f-5eae-4cf4-8bb6-4b42ca1a889b">Re:Flowers???</a>:
    [QUOTE]We agree using garden roses since they look so much like peonies but are half the price. There will also be ranoculous, freesia, hydreangea and football mums in the bouquets. We're doing lanterns for center pieces with rose petals inside them and sprinkled around the table. Flowers are expensive and I just wasn't willing to spend so much money on the centerpieces.
    Posted by stephie25[/QUOTE]

<div>We're using lanterns for our centerpieces, too! We'll have very small bud vases with a few flowers, but are mostly using candles for the centerpieces.</div>
    imageNovember Board Siggy - The Venue!
    Photobucket
    The Great Hall at Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm doing candle centerpieces too...it cuts the flower expenses in half!

We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • We're using artificial flowers, so we were able to spread out the cost over time.  I'm having a friend make up hair clips and bouts and corsages for a good price, the rest I'm putting together myself.  Yay for more lantern centerpieces!  I'm getting closer to mine being done! :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We STILL have to meet again with the florist... I wanted Calla lillies, but they are WAY to expensive for our budget....we are paying for everything ourselves, so it's time to get practical.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dad brought lillies to the hospital on the day I was born, so I'm going to use them with the wheat in my boquet.  Besides that we're doing hydragenias and wheat for the table centerpieces.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am crafty..so i will be making my flowers out of clay..should come out really pretty...as for flowers..I am including Stephanotis, Lavender roses and some lilacs in white and lavender.
  • Ours are pretty basic.  Tightly pack red roses for my 2 bridesmaids, same for me but bigger and with some calla lillies.  Groom and groomsmen boots are roses as well as parents & reader.  We bought the materials for our centerpieces on our own to make 3 tiered vases with a submerged calla in each.  2 altar arrangements are callas as well.  All for about $500 from the grocery store near our venue. 
  • My flowers were made of silk and I absolutely loved them.  I also loveed that I was able to keep them afterwards.  Something you may want to consider.  Let me know if you want to know the name of the on-line store.

• Ranunculus and lisianthus are some other fluffy flowers that are pretty inexpensive. You can use stock and carnations as fillers

We got married 11/3/12!!

• Hydrageas and roses and whatever else the florist wants to throw in there.  
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • If your florist is charging you $15 a stem for Calla lilies I'd find a new florist. I'm doing callas and they are only $9 a stem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dahlias steal the spotlight in November gardens in the midwestern United States. Mixed with crap apple fruits, chrysanthemums and scabiosa, dahlias offer endless floral possibilities.
    Dahlias may require a bit of tender loving care, but the graceful flowers, which will bloom from midsummer until the first frost, are well worth the extra effort.

• In flowers I would generally prefer orange or either blue color.
    But in this November month what other flower or colors I can choose?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards