Connecticut

First look...

Is anyone doing a "first look" with their fiancee before the ceremony? I am really conflicted about doing one because I looooove the way first look pictures come out but I had really always wanted the first time FI saw me on the wedding day to be walking down the aisle...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First look...

• Melissa603Melissa603 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are not going to do a first look
  • TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are traditionalists here...no first look for us either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

We won't be doing a first look either.  I agree with you that first look pictures always look great, but I'm also a bit of a traditionalist so I would much rather see the look on my FI's face as I'm walking down the aisle.  That being said, I know girls who do a first look that say it was nice to have that special moment alone with their FI  and that it made them less nervous.  I think it really comes down to what you and your FI prefer

imageAnniversary
  • cdbishopcdbishop member
    edited December 2011

We are definitely traditionalists too, so we won't be doing a first look.  I agree though, the pictures always look so special.

• edited December 2011
    This is a bit complicated.  We had a Jewish wedding, so your first sighting is not at the end of an aisle.  Instead it is with the rabbi to sign the jewish marriage contract.  So yes, we did do a first look before that to have that moment where it was just the 2 of us.  And I have no regrets about it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    DEFINITELY doing it! We're not traditional, at all! I can't wait for the first look. I think it will be such a special moment for the two of us. Plus, I like the idea of getting formal pictures done before the ceremony and being anle to enjoy the some of the cocktail hour with our guests. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • cleobabcleobab member
    edited December 2011
    We aren't doing a first look.  We wanted to be a little more traditional that way.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We're not doing either, my FI wants to be traditional and be surprised.   
  • Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a First Look and I'm excited for it! It's something I never thought I would do but I've slowly become convinced through reading blogs etc.   Also, FI is looking forward to going to our cocktail hour instead of doing pics
  • edited December 2011
    No first look here either.
  • edited December 2011
    Everyone who does it seems to love it, but FI was really excited about seeing each other for the first time in the church.  I'm pretty traditional, so I think it's the right call for us, but I think you can't go wrong no matter what you decide.  Either you will get awesome pictures and a special private moment, or you will find a way to fit pictures in later and have that amazing feeling of seeing each other for the first time during the ceremony.
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    i am not sure... i didn't know until now. how did you guys know all this stuff??
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Nope we are not doing it either! Keeping it traditional!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    My absolute favorite part of a wedding is seeing the groom's face when he first sees his bride come down the aisle, so I DEF won't be missing this at my own!
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are very traditional, but we still did a first look and it was the best decision we made the day! It was such a tender and romantic moment between us and I love the pictures that result of it. We were able to get a good look at each other, hug, kiss, and cry. We were able to show our true emotions instead of standing in front of 100+ people. It was also great to get our pictures out of the way and actually enjoy our wedding that we had been planning for a year and a half. We mingled at cocktail hour and were able to spend more time with our guests.

Plus it took absolutely nothing away from my walk down the aisle! I was still super emotional and burst into tears when I got to the front and the look on DH's face was priceless.
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing a first look. We are not traditional, and with our ceremony site, he would see me way  before the aisle walk (and before I would see him) so it makes sense to us to do it that way. Plus we are both private with our mushy emotions, so we want that moment to ourselves.
    We also want to do the formal pictures before the ceremony so that we can enjoy the cocktail hour with guests. I think you should do whatever makes you happiest.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We did a first look and the photos are amazing. Our photographer talked us into it because of time constraints after the ceremony for photos. It was a great decision because we where able to get our pics done in a relaxed way and without a lot of people looking on. Also, I glad we did it because when my husband saw me coming down the aisle a bunch of people blocked the way so it was sort of a zoo moment.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're definitely doing a first look!  We don't get to see our families much, so we'd much rather spend the cocktail hour with our guests.  Our photographers are psyched about doing a first look - they say it's so much less stress and usually the photos come out well.

From what I've heard, there's still that special moment when he realizes that here comes his WIFE - that by the time he walks away from the aisle, you'll be MARRIED.  So even if he sees the dress when you buy it, and even if he has just seen you moments before at a first look, the photogs will still capture some amazing photos of him watching you come down the aisle.

Not to mention we are SO non-traditional!  No garter, no bouquet toss, no cake, no bridesmaids or maid of honor (just my brother).  No church, no priest/minister...

Yeah, we like breaking 'rules' Laughing

Anniversary

• ktanddevangktanddevang member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls, for all of your input! I think I am going to end up doing the first look because our ceremony and reception are at the same place and we have NO time in between and I don't want to be rushed. LOL with the amount of money we are spending on pictures I figure I might as well get my moneys worth!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I just wanted to say that the first look was one of the best parts of the day. DH and I have spoken about it so many times since. He was originally against it, but my photographer helped to convince him. It was a magical moment shared between him and I on that day and by no means did it change the emotion of walking down the aisle. DH still had tears rolling down his face when I got to him (and so did my dad).

We had our first look with me coming down a huge flight of stairs and DH standing with his back to me around the corner and at the bottom. He says that as soon as heard my dress start to drag down the stairs he felt his eyes well up and knew that the first look was the best choice we ever made. It was the only truly private moment we shared that day and I feel truly lucky to have had it. It was fantastic and if you are debating it, I say go for it.
    It also allowed for us to mingle for the second half of the cocktail hour (we did pics with our fams for the first half) which meant we were able to eat dinner together at our sweetheart table instead of hoping around and never getting to eat that delicious food! Having all of those moments just with DH alone allowed for us really look at everything we had accomplished on that day, which so many brides say they never got to do.
    Sounds so cheesy but my eyes started to well up writing this. That moment meant so much to us.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Looking back I wish that we had. The cocktail hour (which isn't really an hour) went by so fast & I felt really rushed trying to get all the pictures I wanted. I've discussed this with H and he's happy with the way things went & wouldn't change it but I totally would have fought for the first look if I'd known how rushed I would feel.
    Pregnancy Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

We are waiting until I am walking down the aisle..I wouldn't trade that moment for anything!  That is what I am most looking forward to :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards