Wedding Reception Forum

Dollar Dance Alternatives

Someone had told me about a wedding they went to where instead of the dollar dance they left envelopes on the table. Has anyone seen this? Is there a right way to do this without looking tacky? 

Re: Dollar Dance Alternatives

• Quite a lot of people tend to give cash or a check in a wedding card. Have a card box for those, and that should be all you need. Why would there need to be separate envelopes of 'dollar dance' cash, especially if you're skipping that horribly tacky thing anyway?
  • What do you mean they left envelopes on the table?   Odd.

I think Dollar Dances are tacky, so I think alternatives would be also.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Don't do a dollar dance or any "alternative" forms of asking people for cash. If people want to give you cash, they will do so in the form of their gift to you. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    How is leaving little envelopes on the table asking for money any less tacky that a dollar dance? At least you're working for your money during a dollar dance.  Although I hate dollar dances your idea seems more tacky to me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Don't try to dun your guests for money in any way. Why would you even consider doing this?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-alternatives-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:90abc4a8-131f-4841-9c55-58c475c6d6f0Post:920e7a04-e206-4d1e-adaf-51c403c9e87f">Dollar Dance Alternatives</a>:
    [QUOTE]Someone had told me about a wedding they went to where instead of the dollar dance they left envelopes on the table. Has anyone seen this? Is there a right way to do this without looking tacky? 
    Posted by speachey24[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I am honestly shocked that someone, ANYONE, had the gall to do this.  If I were a guest I'd use your envelope as a place to put my used gum. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • I am personally not a fan of the dollar dance but, my FI family are huge supporters of it. My FFIL went on and on about it last weekend actually about how nice it is to give everyone a chance to see and talk with you for a few seconds. I never thought of it this way. We are doing it bc FI family would be sad if we didnt. My FI and his family are huge hockey people and his family got him a "Stanley cup" years ago for Christmas that we are going to "collect" money in. It should hopefully be fun and get people up and moving :) I'm not a fan and feel about it like many of you but hopefully it'll be personal and fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards