40-Plus Brides

Reception Time line

I am trying to figure out a time line for the reception. How long after we eat dinner should the cake cutting be?

Re: Reception Time line

• That would depend in some part as to what type of reception are you having.  Will there be dancing after dinner?  Do you have people (older family and friends of the family) that may want to leave after the cake and before the party starts hopping?

My wedding was at 5:30 with the reception starting at 6:00.  By the time we got there after photos it was a little past 6:30.  We said hello to our guests and had a bite (literally) to eat.  I would say that we had our first dance at about 30 minutes after dinner was served.  We then cut the cake about 20/30 minutes after that.  I know some of my older guests left shortly after the cake was cut.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My coordinator actually suggested that we cut the cake (ceremonial cutting and serving to each other) before dinner.  Our photographer is not staying through the entire reception and this will allow us to have pro photos.  It also allows the rest of the cake to be cut and available as guests finish their dinner.  We have three 91-year olds and a couple of 80 year olds, so some folks will definitely be leaving early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards