Wedding Reception Forum

Tips for Making a Big Space Seem Smaller

Our reception is going to be in a ballroom meant to hold 400+ guests but we're only inviting about 125ish people. We will be able to air-wall the sides of the room to make it a little smaller, but the ballroom has very high ceilings with big wooden beams and modern light fixtures. I've thought about hanging flowers or laterns from the beams, but I wanted to see if anyone else had some good suggestions on how to make such a large space a little more intimate? Thanks!

Re: Tips for Making a Big Space Seem Smaller

• I like the idea of hanging flowers.  I have seen bloom s strung together then hung over the dance floor.  What about draping fabric? Whenever people do this it seems to give a more intimate feeling.  Havit draped from the center of the ceiling and down the walls.  You can also create additional spaces in the room. I have a similar problem.  We are putting the bar to one side and flanking it with cocktail tables and lounge furniture.
  • Hello Pipe and Drape!! Its usually not too badly priced and can be done quite quickly. Put up the pipe and drape 8 feet and then do some pretty uplighting behind and you will have the same effect shown on most platinum weddings... happy draping...

p.s. almost every rental company carries pipe and drape

• We had 127 paper lanterns at our reception.  We strung them from monofilament that went from one wall to the other, way below ceiling level, so that they would bring the apparent height of the ceiling way down.
  • I think hanging decorations would be nice....maybe taller centerpieces would take up a little bit of room as well.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When my sister got married, she did something briliant in a too big space.  She had the tables blocked off by a row of small trees/planters that had white small lights wrapped on them!  It cut the room in half.  The first half is where we held our drinks & had some more ordorves waiting for the couple to enter. 

Then we all moved ot teh tables as folks arrived.  The leftover part of the room didn't seem odd at all.  In fact everyone kept commenting on how amazing and upscale the venue was.  You could probably buy fake ones to be sold at later yard sale or given away.  Or ask your florist to "borrow or rent" planters for the day.

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards