Military Brides
Options

**FTL**

Or anyone who's taken Statistics, but since I know that you're a math major, I thought I'd ask...Just how fancy is this "fancy" mathWink
Photobucket

Re: **FTL**

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I HATE Statistics.  A lot. 

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh.. and you're really smart C!! Blehhhh

My math teacher calls it "Fancy" math, and it kind of makes it seem less scary!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    It's not math in any way related to algebra/geometry/arithmatic.  It's about conducting polls, making sure surveys are unbiased, the percentage of accuracy, drawing conclusions from surveys, etc.  The concepts are interesting, but the formulas are a pain in the neck and never made any sense to me.  It's all very conceptual and vague - it's not concrete, like equations or proofs.

A lot of people hate statistics.  But it all depends on how your brain works - my Dad (who is very smart) hated geometry but it was one of my favorite classes.  I loved algebra and my Dad loathed it.  You might love it, simply because it isn't like the math that you hate.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    A lot of people hate statistics until they take class theory (I'm in another one right now actually)
    There are SOOO many different distributions to use when collecting and interpreting data, which is why companies can "fudge the numbers" to make it look impressive. YOu just have to use the "right" (and by right I mean wrong) one and you can make any statistic look incredible.
    Most people that hate calculus LOVE statistics because it's simple alegebra and you can set up the problems, understanding why (like a puzzle). If that's you, don't be afraid. :)
  • Options
    AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    What is this "Fancy" Math? I have never heard of it called that before. I must not be fancy enough for it.. hmmm. AND I had a very flamboyant teacher for statistics... I'm surprised he never called it that. =P

As students we called it a lot of other things....like hell.

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    SamiJ what Stats class is it? a 100 or 200 level, or upper division guy? What book are you using?
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    If you don't have to take it, I'd advise against it.  If you do have to take it, then don't worry about it - worrying about it won't help you.  Just take a good attitude, and know that you can always ask FTL for tips!

Laughing

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Amanda, some teachers call Statistics "fancy math" because it's the math that anyone can manipulate to say what they want. ;)

True dat. I'm good at statistics!  I can haz helpfulness

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to take Statistics (It's 151 at my school)... The advisor for the university that I'm transferring to "advised" that I take Statistics based on my major, though I can take something higher than that, it just can't be lower..  I might look again at the math courses before I actually register, but idk.. It doesn't sound TERRIBLE but I HATE algebra (Letters are for English! Numbers are for Math! I will NOT solve for x or y thank you very much!), and I don't hate geometry..
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Weeelllll... Pretty much... hmm...
    lol.
    I use more letters than numbers in all of my math classes at this point. I hate that I know the greek alphabet so well  />_< .  I would say statistics will show you the MOST numbers because it's a lot of plug and chug stuff. So you're more of a calc person?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ftl-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:5f106d95-2578-45e4-9d82-8abda2944fecPost:9d09de13-33c0-4b40-9276-00e1f723ebfb">Re: **FTL**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amanda, some teachers call Statistics "fancy math" because it's the math that <strong>anyone can manipulate to say what they want.</strong> ;) True dat. I'm good at statistics!  I can haz helpfulness
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

<div>Ahhh... I thoughts that we learned in my accounting classes, just kidding that is unethical!</div><div>
    </div><div>BTW - I can't see siggies at work... Your new picture is suuper cute.</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gosh it was sooooo windy that day.. But it made for silly cute pictures :) Since H is gone for the next few weeks I'm bathing in the wedding picture love.  :P

haha love it... Are you going for an accounting degree? Are you planning on taking the actuarial exams?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I am going  to graduate with a dual degree in accounting and MIS (computer nerd) in December. At this point I don't think I will sit for the CPA anytime soon mainly because I like MIS a lot more. Eventually I'd like to go back to school for my MBA but I'm kinda schooled out at the moment...

Photobucket
  • Options
    ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Umm FTL I LOVE YOUR PIC!

Sami-I am no help for you. I took two math classes throughout my entire college career. The stats class I took as a grad involved no actual mathwork. 
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Gah... Loooove your siggy, too!!! AW please?

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011

Calindi- In my aw of pics in my prior post with the non-pro pics, I added a bunch of pro pics. But I shall add them to here  too :o)
    Thanks ggirl. Glad you approve :)

(we ate cupcakes :)

:)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Those are Gorgeous!!! Really stunning!! And you can't tell you're sick at all!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thank you SamiJ :) yeah by the time the wedding came around I wasn't TOO bad.. just couldn't eat and I had to sit down and catch my breath a lot. But I wasn't going to have some dumb flu ruin our day!!
    I think working at Starbucks for 4 years and never being allowed to call in sick has trained me to push through it. Oh retail....... :P

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Gorgeous!  You and your H are so damned photogenic (gah, I almost wrote FI... yay!!!).

I especially love the one with your bridal parties pulling you guys apart as you're kissing.  Very cute!  I'd totally copy you, except it would look weird with our off-kilter bridal party (all men, and the fact that my brother's the only my side).

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh you can think of really fun things to do though! We got a picture of H ( <--- yay!! :) ) holding the umbrella with the three girls underneath and I'm standing apart and glaring at them. I can't WAIT to see how that turns how haha!

Of course you will have to get a picture with all the guys holding you up and your FI trying to get at you or upset about it. That would be sooo cute!
    I didn't realize your whole WP is all men. What made you decide on that?

Thank you!! H gets so worried about his hair line (he's 29 and the receeding has started) so he is suuuper picky about pictures. Luckily he is pleased so far.. Hopefully it stays that way. I just love any pic that are silly with the two of us, whether I look cute or not heheh :o)
    Oh gosh wedding photos are so fun.
    It breaks my <3 that SamiJ hates hers.. Sami I really think you need to do a rock the dress shoot with you and your H (when he returns) so that you can have kind of a mini-redo of pics in your gown.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Sami absolutely needs to do a rock-the-dress shoot, but we're going to need to find her a new dress as she's lost over 30 pounds!!!  Yay Sami!

About my wedding party, I'm incredibly logical (and a bit philosophical) so that's kind of how this all came about - to me, my wedding party needed to be the people that I absolutely needed to be the person or people who were "my people", the ones who would be on my side no matter what.  The ones who I needed their stamp of approval on my marriage, to say, "I love C, I want her to be happy, and I fully support this marriage to T." 

I don't have any life long friends, and then it just got complicated - I've got 1 great female friend from high school, 2 fantastic guy friends from high school (both of whom wanted to be my 'bridesmaids', and no they're not gay), 3 roommates in college, and the girl who is a very close mutual friend of both FI and me.  And then FI has 3 sisters.  If I chose any of the above people, it would have hurt someone else's feelings.  And they all fit different roles in my life. and I didn't want to have to choose, but I also didn't want a HUGE wedding party - stress!  However, the one person who is 100% my person, who has been my best friend since I was 2 years old, is my brother.  We have a very close friendship, and even more than my parents, he's the most important person in the world to me after FI.  So I needed him to be next to me that day.

FI couldn't decide between his best friend from high school who was sort of a mentor to him growing up (this friend was in college while FI was in high school) and helped set him on the right path, and his best friend from OCS who has become practically a brother to him (and me).  I told him that he didn't have to choose - I don't care if he has 2 people and I have 1.  So that's what it is.  FI isn't that close to his sisters, but we're having them do a joint reading.  And I asked one of my college roommates and my high school friend (the girl) to participate - the roommate will lead a section of the ceremony, and the high school friend is going to sing a song.

So there you go!  I don't have to pick out any bridesmaids' dresses.  My brother will be in a charcoal gray suit with a tie, and OCS best man will be in his blues, like FI, and high school best man will be in a charcoal gray suit with a tie.  I think I'm going to have one in a blue tie and one in a coordinating gold/champagne tie.  Trying to make it all match seems futile anyway!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    aw okay. That makes more sense. I did the same thing when I picked my BMs. I thought to myself, "Who LOVES me and supports me through it all. Who LOVES Ryan? Who LOVES what the two of us have? " The three girls I chose loved him from the start, has seen me in the best and worst, think that the two of us are PERFECT together, and have all said that they want what we have. I knew that those were people I wanted standing up for not just me, but for us.

I like the smaller wedding party. We had equal sides, but that wasn't really on purpose.  It just happened that way... I think people put way too much emphasis on having a large WP. I'm glad I had who I had in mine, but ultimately it was about H and I. I think you feel the same way on that topic, so I totally get your choices.

Besides.. if you miss the Bm dress shopping, just go with the SILs and moms. :P
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I don't miss dress shopping - I hate shopping!  But I do plan to take the youngest two SILs dress shopping and buy them a dress they each like (no specific color/styles - whatever they want).   Mostly as bonding time.  They don't do girly things often, and I thought it would be nice.  Their Mom would just tell them to wear old dresses.  The oldest SIL is my age, just had a baby, and has a very complicated relationship with FI (it's tense, to put it lightly) so we're just keeping our distance right now.  She'd be massively offended if I offered to buy her a dress or go shopping with her.  She'll be massively offended no matter what I do.

My brother has started calling T his 'brother' already.  Literally, as soon as we got engaged, he's like, "I have a brother!"  He refuses to call him a "brother-in-law" and he refuses to wait until the wedding to start calling him that.  They've gotten along like best buddies since the moment they met.  My brother posted this video on FI's wall the day after we got engaged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmTRFvZ_Cp4

Cracks me up every time I watch it Laughing

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    hahaha that's too cute.
    Yeah H and SIL have a tough, tense relationship.. and I don't think that's going to change. H is perfectly fine with it because she can be a little.. hit and miss... (we think she's a little bi polar) and she definitely lives off of their mom and dad even at the age of 26... He just doesn't put up with it. He doesn't like it one bit and until that changes and she grows up a bit, he could care less about their tense relationship.

My BIL was like that too! He says "I love you" aaalll  the time, loves hugs, put me as "sister" on fb, and doesn't use the "in law" part for anything. He is amazing. SIL has really warmed up to me after this last weekend. She loved meeting my whole family and my sister, so now she is awesome towards me... I'm a little hesitent just because I know she can flip back and forth at the drop of a dime, but it's nice for now. :)

I think that's a really sweet idea to take the two younger ones, and it's understandable that the FSIL that's your age would be offended about you buying a dress for her, even if you mean it in a good way. Smart move to just let that one lie.  :P
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    FTL, did you say in another thread that you only paid $1500 for your photog???!  Holy crud, very very talented.  In my neck of the woods, that would go for $4000 or more, no joke.  I'm paying $2600 and feeling some photog envy towards your pics.  Wow...

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    yup! I know.. She was such a good find. I had my family ask around, so my aunt found her through her zumba instructor or something.. haha! I learned that she is under a "family photographer" not "wedding" and family photogs tend to be way less in price. Anything with the title "wedding" means they can jack up the price.
    I'm glad you like her work. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards