Delaware

Rehearsal problem...kinda long, sorry!

Silly me just assumed, and I know I should never assume, that I would have my rehearsal on the Friday nigt before my wedding...

Last night I was reading a post on another board and realized that I may not be so lucky...then I got to thinking that wait, they hold Friday weddings at my venue, so there is a good chance it will be in use the night before....

I emailed my contact and sure enough there is a wedding there.  She said that unless its a late Friday wedding we would have to do Thursday night, and she can't let me know until 2 months before (which is when our final information regarding times and such is due)...which I wouldn't care about except that all of FI's family and groomsman are from out of state, over 2 hours away and his son (the biggest reason we're nervous) will be flying in with his mother on Thursday night for our rehearsal on Friday.  We really don't want to ask FI's ex wife to take additional time off to bring him here, and there's a good chance with her new job she won't be able to.  He will be 3 1/2 then and we are so afraid that if he doesn't practice and get a lilttle comfortable that he will never go up the aisle.

I emailed her back seeing if we could do it early Friday, like late morning, early afternoon...which would still be a pain for his groomsman and family, but at least its the same number of nights in the hotel....and I figured we'd just have a small get together at our house and still have our Rehearsal dinner that night...

I know this whole situation is my fault because I never really looked into it before today  (although glad I thought of it today and not in August after hotels, flights, and dinner had been booked) and we absolutely love our venue and wouldn't change it for anything....I'm just frustrated.  I don't want to put his friends and family out and we're just really concerned about how his son will do if he misses rehearsal....

Has anyone else run into any similar problems with having the rehearsal on Thursday and having alot of out of town people who need to attend?  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks is advance!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Rehearsal problem...kinda long, sorry!

• edited December 2011
    We're intentionally doing our rehearsal on Thursday. For a few reasons.

A. I'm anal and I'm setting up our reception hall on friday. Yep. I'm that bride.
    B. I was married before. There, I said it. At my first wedding, having the rehearsal on friday night just made everything seem so rushed! Running to the church, getting everyone together, going over everything, wrangling everyone to the rehearsal dinner.... This time we're doing everything thursday, I'm having a 'spa day' on friday either before or after I set everything up, and then hanging out with our OOT guests and possibly BP that night. (Local haunts, etc) This way, we'll be able to enjoy the days without being so stinkin' rushed!
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    honestly, u don't even have to do the rehearsal at the location...unless u have a ton of people in ur wedding party...if i rent a pavilion for the rehearsal luncheon, like i'm thinking about, i'll probably just do it at the pavilion & make it easier on everyone. also my wedding's on a weds...i'm planning to do the rehearsal the monday before. that way tuesday between is more of a relaxing day with me & my BMs.
  • uderin02uderin02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The thing is my best friend did hers on a Thursday years ago and I thought it was fantastic....and always said that is what I was going to do because Friday was a great time to get stuff done without rushing and relax....until I met someone with no relatives or close friends in DE...but maybe this is actually a good thing.  She responded last night saying there is no way she can promise me anytime on Friday until much closer (which I totally understand) so I guess we'll plan for Thursday and see what happens...and if it seems to be too difficult for everyone, we can always take the rehearsal off location like you've suggested, thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, do what is best for you and everyone involved, however, the rehearsal isn't all that important.  If some people can't make it, it won't be the end of the world.  They can quickly be filled in on what to do when they do arrive.

Also, for the little boy, there's a big difference between walking down the aisle with 10-20 people looking at him and 100+ people.  Rehearsing might not make him any more likely to walk during the ceremony.  You could also think about just practicing somehow with him at another time.  Talking to him about it multiple times beforehand might help as well.  My nephew was almost five for my wedding, but we still had to build him up to it.  My sisters, mom, and I all talked to him about it and tried to get him excited even a year out.  We had serious doubts about him walking down the aisle.  When the day came, he did such a great job.  He took it so seriously and he even told my sister at one point that he had the most important job that day.  Oh, he also watches Little Bill (the cartoon) and about a month before the wedding, Little Bill was the ringbearer in a wedding and my nephew really related to that.

Basically, what I'm saying is, don't get too stressed out about this.  The rehearsal really isn't as important as you might think it need to be.  You can only do what's going to work for your venue and the majority of your wedding party.  And as our priest told us many times, if someone doesn't stand where they're supposed to, no one will even notice.

• edited December 2011
    Friends of ours had their rehearsal & rehearsal dinner on Thursday and the wedding on Saturday, and it was fine!  Friday was nice and relaxed... all the guys went golfing, and all the girls had lunch and got their nails done.  And then we all decorated the MOB's house for the pre-cocktail hour cocktail hour (don't ask).
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards