Arizona-Phoenix

South Mountain Summit

I've been up the road to the summit, and I LOVE it up there...  the little stone house, the view (obviously) is absolutely amazing...

I find myself wondering if there are any restrictions/rules/laws against a ceremony being performed there.   It certainly would be a lot easier (and cheaper!!) than a venue, I would think.

Anyone ever heard of it happening, or looked into it at all?

I would think we'd have to carpool or shuttle/bus everyone up, but we are only having 50 people most, so I think it could almost work.  Maybe not quite enough room?  Hrm...  just ideas floating around! 
Photobucket
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

Re: South Mountain Summit

• edited December 2011
    I'm not familiar with the Summit- but I have looked into doing a wedding in South Moutnian.  They have a large ramada and an activity center, which I don't know a whole lot about but I think it's really cheap to rent.  What is the summit?  Is there a website I could look at?
  • edited December 2011
    It's not a building or venue or anything...  just a look out I guess?  But there's a small stone structure.  At the summit (peak/top) of the mountain.   I don't know if there's another name for it. 
    Photobucket

• LedZeppelinLedZeppelin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We briefly looked into having it there. The view from the summit is gorgeous! You would probably have to contact the City of Phoenix to find out if you can have it up there. You can rent the ramadas out, but there are a lot of restrictions.I think you can only be there until about 10:00pm or so. I didn't delve too far into it, but it seemed to me that you could only have music in one of the ramada areas. You have to apply and pay for an alcohol permit and that is for beer only.

If those things won't affect your wedding, then I'd say go for it. It would be beautiful!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Well, yeah, none of that would have anything to do with just doing the ceremony there.

I was thinking officiant, us, guests, and maybe a guitar player. Really really simple! It would be nice I think, and Chris and I would be more than happy with it.  I'd also be more than happy with saving $1-2k on not having to pay for ceremony site fees and all that comes with it.   We wouldn't need decorations or anything up there, the view stands well enough on it's own.   Would probably only be up there for half an hour - 45 minutes total.  Maybe an hour with pictures.

Reception would be in a venue somewhere after.
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    Yes, the activity center is the only place you can have amplified music and you have to purchase a permit for both beer and amplified music.  I didn't even think to look into what time we'd need to be out of there :)  Most the ramadas can be reserved for free but I think the activity center has a very low fee.  From what I can tell the activity center is still outdoors, like a grouping for tables/ramadas- I haven't actually gone to look.  I thought doing it there would produce beautiful pictures but would definitely be a lot of work...I'm not familiar with the Summit area but like PP said, to call and ask regarding the rules.  Good luck! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'll probably stop out at the little information center place and see if they know anything.   Except I have no idea how to get out there, so I'm waiting until Chris is home next week.  I get lost too easy.  LOL

Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    Keep me posted!  I'd love to hear what they say.  Like you said, it'd be much cheaper and it would be a gorgeous setting for the ceremony!
  • LedZeppelinLedZeppelin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For some reason I just assumed you were wanting to have both the ceremony and reception there. Maybe because that's what we looked into doing. You know what they say about assuming. lol.

I bet you would be able to have just the ceremony there. I can't see any real reason why not.
    Photobucket
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did our after wedding photoshots there. When we went there was a lot of people, and believe it or not the temperatures for the first day of spring (March 21) was 95°F!

I think like previous posters were saying, you have to check with the City of Phoenix to see if you can have your wedding there.  There is limited parking at the top of the mountain, and getting to the little fort (where the pictures are at the top) is a little bit steep, especially when wearing high heels - so please be careful!  There's not a lot of room in the fort either, probably enough for 6-10 people with breathing room.

There's a building at south mountain called the Mystery Castle as well (but this isn't at the top of the mountain)

http://www.phoenixasap.com/south-mountain-park.html

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards