Second Weddings

Unity Candle

I have one adult child, FI has 2.  I wanted to have a unity candle with three tapers, one taper for each child.  Instead of us lighting the unity candle, each of the children would use a taper to light it.  I know this isn't how it is usually done, but I think it would be a nice symbol of the uniting of our families.  Anyone have any thoughts on this, pro or con?

Re: Unity Candle

• Ask your children what they would like to do - if they would like to light a candle as a symbol of the family uniting then do that.  Since they are older it's best to let them have a say in what they are going to be doing at your wedding. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_unity-candle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:aad3758e-ba72-4298-8a06-83388cfed9a2Post:ab8cca31-a925-479f-83ff-6f9198c525d8">Unity Candle</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have one adult child, FI has 2.  I wanted to have a unity candle with three tapers, one taper for each child.  Instead of us lighting the unity candle, each of the children would use a taper to light it.  I know this isn't how it is usually done, but I think it would be a nice symbol of the uniting of our families.  Anyone have any thoughts on this, pro or con?
    Posted by secondtime91512[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'm not much into unity ceremonies within a wedding ceremony.  I definitely don't think a unity ceremony with children as the actors (for lack of a better word) is such a good idea.  Something about that seems a bit off.  So, I guess that's a con.

What about the adult child proposing a toast during the reception, sharing his/her thoughts on the uniting of the families?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards