October 2012 Weddings

How did you pick what to register for?

We went to Target last night to register and I thought it would be SO easy but we had a really hard time.  We bought a house 4 years ago so we have everything we need as far as kitchen stuff, etc.  We picked out nice sheets and down pillows that we'd be too cheap to buy ourselves and picked some new dishes and a vaccuum and a Wii and that's about it! 

We want to be respectful of varying budgets and want to give people a choice of what to buy so I was hoping we would end up with a good selection across price ranges.  We're not quite there yet!  Any tips or tricks you girls want to share?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How did you pick what to register for?

• I picked things that were cute like aprons, and a lot of baking things because I love to bake. I added some high price items and was surprised when most things were bought for our engagement party.. Try to think of things you always say you need or go into the kitchen gadgets section and I am sure you will fine some stuff! Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker 169 Invited image
    60 Yes image
    16 No image
    93 Have me praying for the mailman! image
  • I found it much less overwhelming to use the online registries and browse through the website and decide what I liked and needed. Plus I could always go back to what we had registered for and check to make sure I had a good selection at a bunch of price points.

I went back to the store if there was something I wanted to see in person or to feel the softness of sheets and towels, etc.
    Anniversary
  • It was easy for us to register for a lot of stuff because even though we've been living together for over a year, all of our stuff is mismatched cheap stuff that we bought in college.  Now we can get some nice utensils and pots and pans and dishes.  Is there anything in your kitchen you want to upgrade?  New baking sheets or tins?  New flatware (not necessarily the 'good' kind)? Any gadgets that you want but would never buy yourself (stand mixer, mandolin, toaster oven, etc)?

Based on what you registered for, it sounds like you're missing things on the lower end of the price spectrum.  Things on my registry for <$20 include spatulas (2 is not enough for me), cooking spoons (another thing I need multiples of), spoon rests for when you're cooking on the stove, trivets to keep things from burning the counter top, wine corkscrew, wine preserver, and a three-tier cooling rack (I'm really excited about this).  

Good luck OP!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_how-did-you-pick-what-to-register-for?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:c5a26119-3991-4a30-b2f7-08ed49abeb8dPost:775be634-57bf-4704-98c2-d52e62ac7742">Re: How did you pick what to register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It was easy for us to register for a lot of stuff because even though we've been living together for over a year, all of our stuff is mismatched cheap stuff that we bought in college.  Now we can get some nice utensils and pots and pans and dishes.  Is there anything in your kitchen you want to upgrade?  New baking sheets or tins?  New flatware (not necessarily the 'good' kind)? Any gadgets that you want but would never buy yourself (stand mixer, mandolin, toaster oven, etc)? Based on what you registered for, it sounds like you're missing things on the lower end of the price spectrum.  Things on my registry for <$20 include spatulas (2 is not enough for me), cooking spoons (another thing I need multiples of), spoon rests for when you're cooking on the stove, trivets to keep things from burning the counter top, wine corkscrew, wine preserver, and a <strong>three-tier cooling rack (I'm really excited about this). </strong>  Good luck OP!
    Posted by ericaandtom2012[/QUOTE]

Me too!! Counter space is at a premium in our condo so I'm super excited to break that baby out for Christmas baking!
    Anniversary
  • I agree with the online reccomendation. We did Williams Sonoma in store and I think we put so much random stuff on there because we were overwhelmed. I've been editing down our lists. I then just did Macy's online by myself (FI really could care less, which is fine by me!).

Fun things to add could be nice picture frames, vases, wine glasses, wine decanter and kitchen gadets. Hope that helps!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • One thing I added that I thought was a decent idea - window curtains. Our windows have blinds but not curtains. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We don't live together but our mothers had actually been hoarding items for us!  We registered for a lot of specialty baking stuff (pizza pans, springform pans of varying sizes) and a crap ton of linense.  we picked about 3 different sheet sets (for different seasons of the year) and duvet covers.  we also picked fancy dishes, every day dishes, drinking glasses adn wine glasses among other things.  The store we chose actually has a checklist of things that are commonly registerd for which helped a lot.
  • I tried to break down our registry into a few price points:
    Under $20
    $25ish
    $50ish
    $100 +

I tried to pick the most items in the $50 range (also the price range most shower guests seem to be buying in), followed by the $25 range, and then a few items under $20 and over $100.  A few of our over $100 items have been bought, I'm assuming these are group gifts (haven't received the gifts yet, so I don't really know).

Another requirement that we had for our registry was that what we registered for had to be good quality and something that could last us for awhile.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For less-expensive options, we're doing some specialty utensils (technically, I can grate a clove of garlic on a cheese grater, but I wouldn't mind owning a garlic press, and a bridesmaid even bought me a mango pitter!). We're also registering for holiday stuff--a cute Christmas tree skirt so we don't get needles all over the floor, pretty ornaments, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards