Texas-Houston
Options

How far out did you book your venue?

Hi everyone!  I'm hoping to get married in the summer of 2014, and I was wondering how far you ladies booked in advance for your ceremony/reception??  The place that I really want to book at is the Petroleum club.  So if you have any specfic information on that place as well, it would be very appreciated!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: How far out did you book your venue?

• Options
    I would give it at least a year...We didn't book ours until 10 months before the date and most were booked and none had the exact date we wanted so we had to move it back one weekend. That also gives you more time to pay it off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We booked our venue almost exactly a year out.  I think that's pretty normal.

There are some venues that are super popular, and if your date and time is a popular one (Christmas time, summer usually, saturday evenings, etc.) then you may need to book more than a year out (our venue actually didn't allow you to book until the 1 year mark).  But some venues start booking 1 1/2 years, or 2 years in advance.

For some venues, you may be able to book with a lot less time.  But it doesn't sound like you'll have that problem.

With almost 2 years to go, you could still start looking at venues, but I probably wouldn't book until maybe next year.  You just want to make sure that your budget is solid and you're really sure about your choice.  You wouldn't want to start changing your ideas about the size/style/cost of your wedding, and ooops, you've already locked yourself into a contract 2 years in advance.

BTW, we didn't go with Petroleum Club, but I've heard many good things about them.  And they were on our possible venue list because they are relatively budget-friendly.

SaveSave
  • Options
    audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2012
    Petroleum Club was awesome. I've since lost their pricing list, but it's really reasonable. Their dress code was the only thing that kept us from going with them.

That being said, we started looking 13 months out for a venue. We had a pretty specific criteria, so we only visited four places. Our venue wouldn't allow us to book more than 1 year in advance, so on April 1st, we went and turned the contracts in for the chapel and the hotel. 

2014 is going to give you plenty of time. Houston venues don't tend to book up more than 16 months in advance, unless you're going with Bell Tower on 34th. From what I know, they book about 18-24 mos in advance. 

ETA: You can PM me if you have any questions about venues in Downtown or about the Petroleum Club. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options

Most venues only book from 1 year to 18months out. You could do all of the looking now and make your decision so when that time comes, you can just go in and sign the contracts.
    I booked mine 11 months out.

• Options
    If you are 100% that you want that venue I would book it as soon as they will let you.
    Im getting married October 2013.
    When we finally settled on a venue early septmeber our date was taken. In fact every date in that month was taken.
    So the earlier the better.... Plus gives you longer to pay off the balance!!
  • Options
    We booked 9 months before the date, got married Sept 2011.
    TTC Jan 2011, me: 30, DH 32. Unexplained IF. Aug 2012- Bravelle/Ovidrel, IUI 08/21, IUI 08/22= BFN. Feb 2013: Bravelle/Ovidrel, IUI 02/20, IUI 02/21= BFN.
  • Options
    We booked 14 months out (Sept 2011 for Nov 2012), and many were filling up such as Petroleum Club, Bell Tower on 34th, Courtyard on St. James, and the Parador. I'm having my wedding somewhere else, but In fact, the date we ended up choosing was our second choice because our first choice was taken. Petroleum Club specifically were booked through November when we were looking and so I never even saw the place. It is a very popular venue. 2014 still a long time from now. I would start looking at 16 to 18 months, and even though it is a very nice place, I would still encourage you to look around. I wouldn't do any sooner since you might change your mind. 

We got married 11/3/12!!

• Options
    We booked 14 months out because we were set on the venue :) You should have plenty of time with a 2014 wedding but, like everyone has said, it just depends on the venue! I think the location is the most important part for us (we don't have, say, photographers that we HAD to have, etc.) so as soon as we got the church confirmed we locked in the reception venue.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards