Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Gourmet Fried Chicken?

Okay here's the story...

My fiance and I went to a tasting recently and ever since then we've been questioning the menu for our wedding. The food was good, but I've never eaten fish (no matter how well cooked) and thought, wow, this is amazing. So then we thought about it... what we had eaten recently that was THAT delicious? The answer we came up with: fried chicken and mac and cheese!

So then we started thinking, why shouldn't we eat what we love on our wedding day? And I don't mean KFC, but a catered meal with some really delicious, fresh buttermilk fried chicken and a few sides, like mac and cheese, maybe some sweet potatoes and greens? We could start with a more "wedding-like" appetizer of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, etc.

So my question is this -- if you went to a wedding, where all the decorations, flowers were beautiful and the menu consisted of what I have above all served on pretty plates, what would you think?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Gourmet Fried Chicken?

• edited December 2011
    Fried chicken would be fine.  Just make sure you don't overload with carb filled sides. 
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you have to know your guests.  I think mac and cheese is possibly the best thing ever.  And I think seeing it at a wedding would be awesome.  But I think my guests would be like "huh? are you serious?" if i served fried chicken... and mac and cheese... etc.  But if you think it fits the style of your party and your guests will go for it, than go ahead!  Or maybe you can just incorporate those things into your meal in other ways?  I've seen appetizers that are like little fried mac and cheese balls... you could do sweet potatos instead of white... things like that?  Or maybe have fried chicken and non-fried chicken? 
  • pgcppgcp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Neither of my daughters or I can eat fried chicken, we get horrible stomach cramps or worse.  I wouldn't be offended or anything but a plated dinner with fried chicken would leave me hungry.
  • edited December 2011
    You do need to think about your guests. Maybe you don't like fish, but lots of other people do. It would be nice to have another option if you can. I would love the fried chicken though!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's an awesome idea.  We've been thinking along the same lines, i.e. instead of just going with standard choices we thought about what kinds of food we indulge in when we want a really good dinner.  And we came up with the same kind of stuff -- comfort food.  I think just about any food can be totally dressed up to make it fit with the formality of a wedding if you go about it the right way.
    imageWhite Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In addition to pulled pork and other sides, we had fried chicken and a potato station (whipped red and sweet potatoes with all the toppings).  It was SO GOOD and we had so many people tell us how much they loved it.  We had a beach wedding with the reception at the beach house, and we really wanted a comfortable, laid back vibe, so it really fit the bill.  Regardless though, I think you could make it work.  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We're not doing it because we don't want a buffet, but one of the menu options at our venue was a "Southern Buffet" with Cajun fried chicken, baked beans, potatoes, coleslaw, etc.  If it fits your style and your guests' style, it's totally fine.  I would suggest a vegetarian option as well, though.
    Anniversary
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'd love it, but I'd have it as a choice among other main dishes.  Some people just can't do fried stuff.  Maybe have a carving station, or the pulled pork that someone mentioned.  I love Southern comfort food and I'd be thrilled to have that kind of meal at a wedding, instead of the same stodgy old banquet food.
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's an ok idea. But the only thing is if you have guests who are trying to watch what they eat for whatever reason. I would devoure the mac & cheese. But maybe have a fried and baked chicken option (like KFC has). GL!
  • edited December 2011
    It might be a little messy, but it depends on how formal your event is and how you serve it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • oliviamarie13oliviamarie13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say go with it. We are thinking either burger (with vegertarian options) or grilled cheese bar. I say you do what you want and if it goes with your wedding I think that is great.
  • edited December 2011
    Although your idea about the Buttermilk Fried Chicken would be awesome and those sides you mentioned sound right on track, I don't like your appetizer idea...it just doesn't go. 

If you are looking for something that will go exceptionally well, I would choose a fresh fruit display with or without cheese.  Maybe some fruit sk'oeuvreewers if you want  hors d'oeuvres.

Your menu is not only individual but creative and will be wonderfully received...take it from us...

VISION CATERING USA
    Denver, Colorado 

P.S. Don't forget homemade buttermilk biscuits and cornbread muffins with flavored butters on the buffet!
  • serenitymdserenitymd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it sounds great, I'd eat it but I second the suggestions about having a second option not fried for those who don't like fried chicken (GASP) or for those watching their health.  Also I agree with a different appetizer. 

I think having what you love as your wedding food is a great idea.  that is what we are doing.  although at times I'm a little sad, we are having a destination wedding with yummy steaks.  If we had chosen to stay near my parents we could have had a hog roast with all the yummy sides like mashed potatoes (my ultimate fav dish).  And I've heard a lot of people do BBQ as their meal.  so why not fried chicken?  Yummy!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards