Maine

Coastal Location you can DIY?

So I have searched everywhere looking for my perfect wedding location, I wanted a secluded coastal location where you could set up a tent and have your ceremony and reception together. My FI wants to have a ceremony and reception at an actual venue. I decided to compromise however, I won't give up my BBQ outside reception! My parents have a family friend who has a smoker and will do the BBQ for very cheap but, here is the HUGE problem. I CAN'T FIND A LOCATION THAT ALLOWS YOU TO CATER YOURSELF! :(
Does anyone know of any place that will let you bring your own tent and cater your reception on your own. It is so much cheaper to do it that way, I'm sure that is the reason that i can't find a venue to go along. Will I have to sacrifice my coastal wedding? Please help

Re: Coastal Location you can DIY?

• amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How formal/casual do you plan on it being?  Winslow Park in Freeport is gorgeous.  They have a pavillion you could have a bbq at.  I live nearby and visited to check it out and have some pics if you want them.  The pavillion would definitley be on the camp-y rustic, casual side.

I really wanted to have my wedding there but it has no power (from what I could tell, but you could call to verify).  And I am not sure on their alcohol policy either, as they are town owned, not state owned. 
  • scoviljscovilj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After much pondering, and discussing with my parents we have decided to rent an estate on the coast and just have a wedding and reception there. I feel very relieved, and I will be able to have a BBQ reception, and my FI can have his beach wedding.
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't need to have alcohol, you can reserve the picnic shelter at Fort Williams and put up a tent with it (you have to get special permission).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_coastal-location-can-diy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:a24ab983-b4c9-4da9-9d4a-14a361bbb319Post:1d83b699-2220-4c37-b2b8-c94f7ed9c0a8">Re: Coastal Location you can DIY?</a>:
    [QUOTE]After much pondering, and discussing with my parents we have decided to rent an estate on the coast and just have a wedding and reception there. I feel very relieved, and I will be able to have a BBQ reception, and my FI can have his beach wedding.
    Posted by scovilj[/QUOTE]

Sounds like that will work perfectly!! Glad things worked out :)
  • edited December 2011
    have you found an estate? check out homeaway.com, there are some great homes for rent! just contact the owners to ask if they would allow a wedding. this is what we are doing up in newry,me
  • LHB2011LHB2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Ducktrap Retreat: www.ducktrapretreat.com. They let you bring in whatever caterers/vendors you want.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    re: Winslow Park in Freeport: we are doing a catered BBQ there for our rehearsal dinner.  You can have alcohol, but there are some restrictions like you have to hire an off-duty Freeport police officer (1 per 100 people).  You might also have to have alcohol through a caterer, but I don't have the form in front of me, so couldn't say for sure.
  • amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_coastal-location-can-diy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:a24ab983-b4c9-4da9-9d4a-14a361bbb319Post:6a2e5ff3-6de4-4ffc-aaf0-6a9a025d51b4">Re: Coastal Location you can DIY?</a>:
    [QUOTE]re: Winslow Park in Freeport: we are doing a catered BBQ there for our rehearsal dinner.  You can have alcohol, but there are some restrictions like you have to hire an off-duty Freeport police officer (1 per 100 people).  You might also have to have alcohol through a caterer, but I don't have the form in front of me, so couldn't say for sure.
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

I should have investigtaed this place more before -- I sort of shrugged it off assuming I couldn't have alcohol and still not sure about the electricity.  But it's SO pretty and affordable not sure it matters at that point!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards