Canada-Ontario

Wholesale flowers

Looking for suggestions on where I can order flowers in bulk..

If anyone can help..

I was going to order from costco but notice that the canadian site has far less selection than the us site...dont think they will ship to canada

Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wholesale flowers

• naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    You can order from Costco - just go into the store during daytime hours and talk to them, the florist can order in whatever you need so that it is definitely in stock for your wedding day.  They have cheap pre-made boutonnieres (and corsages I think) too, with a single rose so you don't have to make them yourself.

Go into the store, don't try to order off the website - the website is quite limited.

There are also some bulk flower/auction places in Toronto but I have no experience with them.
  • as someone who previously worked in flower wholesale (in calgary not toronto) I feel I should warn you that MOST wholesalers will NOT sell to the public and if they do the price is jacked up to almost retail.

that being said, many florists will order flowers for you from the wholesaler and give you a better deal on them.

another word of caution: have you ever worked with wholesale flowers before?
    they are not as easy to deal with as you may think...for example:

Roses come bunched so tight they need to be set in jugs of water loosely for up to 3 days just to open and the outer protective petals need to be removed.

lily's come unbloomed and if you are not careful they easily rot if not treated properly.

in addition to that, you buy wholesale by the bunch not the stem, IE roses come in bunches  of 25 so if you only need 60, you MUST buy them by the bunch and get 75.

also, if you are not a florist its hard to know how to treat the flowers to ensure they will last through your day without wilting/drooping and so forth.

sorry to be such a negative nelly,,,

its for these reasons and more that I decided to just hire a florist.

Good luck to you if you are doing all your own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PM me if you want any more info on the topic, I know loads about taking care of/prepping flowers :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got mine from Metro! But I guess it depends what kind of flowers you are looking for.
  • thanks souptin, i have been gathering info on how to deal with wholesaler flowers. once i know exactly the type of flowers i will PM u - thanks!

i will definently go in person to costco and see if they can help me get a greater variety.

I have a friend who ran a decor company and they are still registered so im going to check out some wholesalers with her in few wks

metro is a good idea too....i dont really have a preference of flowers, just the colours i what i am concerned about!

• Not sure where you're located but there's two or three flower shops on Avenue Road, just past Bloor Street, that sell just about every kind of flower imaginable.  They have hundreds of them sitting outside their shop.  They may be able to help you.

Speaking of Metro, check out the florist there.  A g/f of mine said they are having a deal for wedding flowers for $399, including boutonnieres, corsages, bridesmaid flowers and bridal bouquet.  This was just last month. I've been meaning to check it out, but have yet to do so. 

Also check out the post I made a few days ago.  There's a deal for $99 for $510 worth of flowers for the wedding.  You can buy 2 vouchers if you have a big wedding party.
  • thanks jewel224. im actually going to purchase that deal today!

the bulk flowers i will use for my center pieces
  • I don't know where you're located, but I went to a greenhouse near Schomberg (hwy 9 off 400) and got a decent price (but you have to pick them up). It's called schakel greenhouse - I used cream roses and baby's breath for our centrepieces. I got 4 bunches of baby's breath and 168 roses for 165ish (taxes in). The flowers were beautiful and held up amazing despite all the travelling! good luck
  • I ordered mine from BunchesDirect.ca. They're ottawa-based, and I got my bouquet, 12 boutinneres, 5 BM Bouquets, 6 corsages and rose petals for the aisle for about $325. They'll deliver the day before your wedding, with instructions on how to care for them - they're guaranteed to last three days. A friend of mine ordered from there 3 months ago and her flowers were beautiful (and they were delivered to Toronto!), so hopefully mine turn out the same when I get married in 2 months. :)
    Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards