Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Photography

Looking for some advice...
my fiance and I are going to be paying for most of the wedding on our own, so we're looking for ways to save money. 
I am specifically wondering about photography. Having good pics are very important to me,  while still trying to maintain a decent price. 
Can anyone give me their opinion on the most important things to look for in photographers? i.e. is it better to get a package where you are getting prints included in the price or be sure to get a package where you have the copyrights so you can print any on your own...things like that??
Thanks!!
*K 

Re: Photography

• edited December 2011

Well, H's dad & stepmom were our photographers, so we didn't really have to worry much about packages. However, both they and a photographer friend who did extras did give us the rights to print the photos on our own, which I do think is nice. It makes it so much easier to get photos for friends/family, and even to really choose which ones we may want for our frames around the house.

Some of the other girls here may be able to give you guidance on that, but I can recommend our photographer friend. She is shooting my BFF's wedding I am in in January, can't wait to see what she does! Lauren did our engagement  photos and some wedding photos as well as her gift, we are thrilled with her work!

http://www.laurenzurchinstudios.com/

She may have some of our photos in her filckr albums you can access from her site (Lynn & Jody if she has them by couples' names), but here are a few of the photos she shot:

Plus my profile & sig pics are ones she did!  Good luck! I know how hard it is when on a budget. But her prices are reasonable, all packages include the engagement photos session.

Crosswalk
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm...

The most important things for me were to make sure I loved the quality of work of the photographer, that I got along with the photographer well, and that I had the high resolution images with printing rights (most photographers won't give you the full copyright because that would mean they wouldn't be able to use them for their own portfolio/business purposes).
  • Y I OughtaY I Oughta member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check our RnK Photography. You get prints with some of the packages, the packages start around $1200, and they have two photgraphers for your whole day with no time limit.

http://rnkphotography.com/
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I met with a bunch of photographers and feel that I found a FANTASTIC photographer at a great price....If you would like you can private message me and I can tell you about my experiences and the pricing I was given. 
  • jenice95jenice95 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The most important things I looked for were overall style (i.e. traditional vs. photojournalistic), photo product (I asked for access to actual clients' photos, not just the "showcase" ones on the website) and of course price. You could also ask for reviews from previous clients. It was also important to me that I have a professional album and high res disk, with printing rights.

Other things that helped me make a decision: personality and responsiveness (did they answer your questions and in a timely fashion).

Now I've only had my engagement photos taken so far, but the first impression was great. They didn't rush, they knew how to set flattering poses, and they were a joy to be around for those 2 1/2 hrs.

HTH!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_photography?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:61e96429-64ee-4b21-80ee-9b84ecccbadbPost:19df3362-e3bb-4713-a2f7-da140d01f220">Re: Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]hmm... The most important things for me were to make sure I loved the quality of work of the photographer, that I got along with the photographer well, and that I had the high resolution images with printing rights (most photographers won't give you the full copyright because that would mean they wouldn't be able to use them for their own portfolio/business purposes).
    Posted by mdphd[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything md said here. 

Do you have  a certian price range you're looking at for a photog?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would think the quality is the most important. I wanted to have rights to my photos afterwards and I didn't want to be nailed down to having a certain amount and a certain size prints. I think that is a waste IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Kristy and Jimmy from Lime-Light Images- They are fantastic- check out their website- their prices are fabulous- and you get all the rights to the prints.  We just got our engagement session ones back and we loved them

http://limelight-images.com/

GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ljs283ljs283 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Pamela marie Photography. My fiance and I met with her and I knew the second we left our meeting that we wanted to book with her! We knew we wanted a photojournalistic style with a reasonable price. When comparing her with other similar-styled photographers, she was definitely the best overall! We haven't had any pics done yet, but ALL of her pictures from what I've seen are fantastic!

www.pamelamarie.net
    Everything happens for a reason; Don't regret anything you've done in the past because at some point it's what you wanted
  • krstanchole7krstanchole7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks a lot to all of you, it really helps to know what I'm looking for!
    -K
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards