Getting in Shape

Walking on a treadmill to tone- how long does it take? Should I use the incline? Rest on page.

Hi :)

My wedding will be sometime late 2012 or early 2013 and I need to tone up and in the process maybe 10 pounds.  Not a big deal.  Main goal is just toning to look my best.  I have a treadmill so I can walk often (though I never do- yet!) and I already eat pretty healthy which is why I don;t have much to lose.  I would like to look at dresses this spring ao I want to get in shape now.  What is your guess on how long it would take and what a good treadmill routine would be?  Should I do this 3-4 or more times a week?  30 minutes or more a day?  Just your opinions would be of great help.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
RSVP Deadline: February 28th

Re: Walking on a treadmill to tone- how long does it take? Should I use the incline? Rest on page.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_walking-treadmill-tone-long-should-use-incline-rest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:073b8ee4-ef4f-4d4c-9eea-1cdd6564f201Post:517af724-52a1-4b11-83c3-4c5b82e7dd28">Re: Walking on a treadmill to tone- how long does it take? Should I use the incline? Rest on page.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, OP, if you are trying to use a treadmill I would look at doing some HIIT. You can see huge results with that.
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Try running at a high speed for 30 seconds, then slow down to a brisk walk or slow jog for 1 minute. Keep repeating this pattern for 20 minutes or so. There's a ton of info out there on HIIT training and how it is the best way to keep burning calories long after your workout is finished.
    Anniversary
  • I agree with SunshineShades - walking on treadmill won't get you the toning results you're looking for. For that you need weight & interval training, HIIT, and consider Barre fitness to lengthen & strengthen. 

I love working out and do it regularly buuuut last year I slacked off...I was able to lose 12 lbs in one month just be eliminating processed foods without doing any exercise. Weight loss is simple math: you must burn more calories than you take in. However weight loss does not equal toned muscles & strength...ever hear the term 'skinny fat'? Skinny girls with lots of jiggles. For that you do need to work out.
  • amanda1611tamanda1611t member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    running and walking on the tredmill different speeds and different inclines you will see results.I did that a  few years back and i went from 160pounds-115pounds. everday i did it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you're going to want to shape up your arms, you may lose a little bit of fat but your arms won't tone. Maybe invest in some small weights?
    My trainer said it's always better to go with the smaller weight and do more repititions than a really heavy weight and just a few reps.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_walking-treadmill-tone-long-should-use-incline-rest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:073b8ee4-ef4f-4d4c-9eea-1cdd6564f201Post:dbb0fc0c-b410-4771-b585-3e1d745deabe">Re: Walking on a treadmill to tone- how long does it take? Should I use the incline? Rest on page.</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're going to want to shape up your arms, you may lose a little bit of fat but your arms won't tone. Maybe invest in some small weights? <strong>My trainer said it's always better to go with the smaller weight and do more repititions than a really heavy weight and just a few reps.
    </strong>Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but your trainer doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards